Cyrus: A True Story

• Dedicated to Cyrus Strausbaugh

Golden fur, a touch of sun

Brown eyes, a touch of curiosity

Pointed ears, a touch of alert

Curled tail, a touch of happiness

Black spotted tounge, a touch of Chow

A happy little smile, a touch of smarts

A fullfilled life, a touch of love

~Cyrus~

I know this is a poetry book, but I think a miraculous occurence that happen should be told.

In the month of December, the snow was bitter cold and had covered everything. That didn't stop my dog from running and playing. He was the age of seven, and although he was getting older, nothing appeared to be wrong with him.

A few months before in the month of June, my dog suddenly collapsed, and none of us knew what was wrong. Me and my dad got him in the car and drove him to Purdue university's Vetinarian part to have him checked out. It was eleven at night, and it was the only place that was open. We drove all the way, and when my dog tried to stand up, he kept falling back down. I feared the worst, as if he'd never walk again and we'd have to put him down.

After about ten minutes, my dog regained his ability to walk, and we took him inside. The vet checked him out, although because of the storm that had been going on for a while, some of the electricity was knocked out. She gave us some pills to give to him in case this ever happens again.

The rest of the month went smoothly, and my aunt, uncle, and cousin came to visit. To our suprise, Cyrus suddenly collapsed again, and me and my mom gave him his pill and after a while regained his ability to walk. The next day, we brought him to the vet's at PetSmart.

He collapsed again this time after he had finished using the bathroom, and fell into his own urine. The PetSmart woman gave us a wet towel to clean him, and we drove back to Purdue University. The woman at the University's Vet had checked our dog again. My mom and me broke into tears when we learned our dog had three masses on his body, and also had a severe case of heart arithmia.

The vet told us it would be a miracle if he made it past the following winter.

To my and my family's suprise, he did.

But that's not the miracle. As my dog ran back and forth darting past me, making me loose my balance, I saw a pattern. He wanted to play, but he had no toy. So, instead, he went to my grandma's garden, dug up a plant for playing. This angered my grandmother, but she didn't inflict anything on him, because a month before she learned that she had heart arithmia just like my dog, just less severe.

My grandma was still angry, because once you dig up that plant, it would die and would never grow again. After months, we kept giving my dog pills, yet he still seemed to get slower and slower as the days went by. Cyrus kept getting worse and worse, and my parents and I agreed that we should put him down, but my brother would cry his eyes out and say no.

My parents let my dog live through the month of February, and pass his birthday letting him turn eight. But one day as I came home from school, my mother announced to me that she was going to take Cyrus to the vet's to put him down. At that moment, I suddenly burst into tears and cried my heart out. I cried for two hours straight. My mother told my brother the same thing when he came home, but he was more in a state of shock, and didn't shed a tear.

Now, in this month of April, a miracle occured. My grandma announced that the plant Cyrus had dug up the current months before his death was suddenly growing. This was absolutely impossible for this type of plant. As a memory of Cyrus, and a memorial for him, she planted it in the front yard next to the drive way, his favorite spot to lay.

I'm already begining to cry, so I have to stop typing. This was the muraculous occurence, that happened to my dog.

Cyrus Strausbaugh

~February 28, 2003

~March 4, 2011

Here's a picture of him the day he died>