Be my Baby

I'll make you happy, baby, just wait and see.
For every kiss you give me, I'll give you three.
- The Ronettes -

Diana:

That was the summer of 1963, when everybody called me 'Baby' and it didn't occur to me to mind.

That was before President Kennedy was shot, before the Beatles came, when I couldn't wait to join the Peace Corps, and I thought I'd never find a guy as great as my Dad.

The was the summer we went to Kellerman's.

We drove towards the Catskills Resort in upstate New York with the windows rolled down, and the song "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Frankie Valli playing as the wind blew around me and my sister in the backseat.

It was a beautiful summer day, with the buzz of anticipation floating around in the air with that our stay would bring.

My parents had put it up to a vote on what we wanted to do with our last summer as a family; I chose a cruise, but sadly I'd been out voted by everyone else, so I was stuck with the option of Kellerman's, where we'd be spending the next 3 weeks in a sleepy mountain resort.

I wasn't too crestfallen about it, but Kellerman's was old news. There wasn't anything exciting happening there, so the only thing I had to worry about was keeping myself busy — counting down the days until I was out of the house and in college.

I had my whole life planned out, and I was excited to start living it. I had been dreaming of this day since since I was a kid, and my parents couldn't had been more proud.

But that was who I was; a planner, an activist, and always looking ahead with my future in mind. I'd learned that from my Dad too, and he'd instilled the quality in my head since I was child.

Make something of yourself, Baby, he and my mother would say. And I was going to... Right after we were done with this family vacation, and then I'd leave everything behind and start walking down the path that I'd paved for myself since I was child.

We passed the wooden billboard on the side of the road that read "Kellerman's Mountain Resort: 10 miles ahead" as I flipped through the book I was reading about war and peace. It was almost useless with the way the wind whipped the pages around, and I kept having to brush my frizzy brown hair out of my face, but at least it was something to keep me occupied during the drive.

I glanced at my sister Lisa Marie, who was having her own struggles as she held a mirror up to her face and tried to brush down her bangs. I smiled at her determination, even though it was no use.

She'd begged our father to keep the windows up, but he'd simply said with a wink "Smell that fresh air, Lisa! It's good for your health. I'd know." as our mom just smiled lovingly in his direction from the passenger seat.

Lisa had huffed in frustration, stating "If you're dragging us to an old people resort, I might as well look good for the few boys who are going to be my age."

As if she needed good hair to do that.

While I was born as the level headed child who never created waves and did everything she was supposed to in our fathers eyes, Lisa Marie was the daughter who caught peoples attention. She made an impression with her easy smile and bubbly personality that boys gravitated towards; breaking hearts in every direction she turned.

My sister was beautiful, and she wouldn't have a problem with reeling in interested glances from the boys who were working their summer jobs at the resort .

I was more than positive that she'd find someone to settle down with before the summer was over, which was exactly what she wanted. Who was I to argue?

I didn't know if I'd ever get married, or even if I wanted to. My parents were a prime example for a perfect marriage, and I'd watched them live happily my entire life.

My Father, Dr. Jake Houseman, was a prestigious doctor in our home state, who had worked hard to get where he was at in his chosen field, and always told his children that anything was possible as long as you strived for it.

My mother, Marjorie Houseman, was a stay at home mom who had done everything she could to keep a good house and raise us in the best environment that she possibly could. She loved me and Lisa unconditionally, and we were lucky to have her.

But even with my parents unfaltering and everlasting love, I still had my doubts.

Marriage seemed like a dying institution, with the rolls becoming more equal everyday. Feminism was a booming topic as the United States began to realize that woman were just as beneficial for the economy as men were — especially after World War 2 when we had to hold down the fort as men when over seas.

That was far before my time, but the ripple of effect was still moving steadily through the nation, and I wanted to be at the forefront.

I had dreams of seeing the world, finding the problems that plagued it, and ending them with my humanitarian efforts. I had aspirations and goals of cleaning the oceans and fighting for civil rights.

People screamed "All men are created equal" but no one really believed it. And I wanted to make my mark in this new revolution that the United States found itself teetering on.

Maybe one day I'd settle down if I found the right man, but right now that wasn't where my goals were. And I was very vocal about that fact when Lisa tried to set me up on dates.

My Dad would just smile, listening to me spout off about the things that I wanted to change for our society, and my big dreams of taking on everything that was thrown at me... And my mother was just happy that I was passionate about something. Either way, they were both very supportive, and I was lucky enough to be in a position that allowed me to flourish with whatever chosen field of work I aspired to be in.

Setting down my book, I sat forward, wrapping my arms around my fathers neck and resting my chin against his shoulder as I watched the car eat up the road in front of us.

We were getting close to Kellerman's now, and I could almost smell the lake and the memories we were bound to make before Lisa and I went off in different directions with our lives.

Despite the fact that it wasn't my first option, I was determined to make this summer memorable, even if it was just in the sleepy mountain resort of the Catskills; a place that was bound to be as uneventful as it was ancient.

With my suitcase filled to the brim with chunky sweaters and ankle length skirts, I was ready to spend the next three weeks with my nose shoved in a book and nothing to kill but time, dreaming about what the rest of the year had in store for me after these next three weeks.

—————

Chapter song: