Go Back to your Playpen, Baby

Diana:

"Ladies! Join our hair-raising wig show!" The announcers voice said over the loud speaker. "Try your Sandra Dee, Jackie Kennedy, or Cleopatra wig!"

I sat next to my sister under the awning of the wig station as dozens of other woman sat around us, looking through everything they had.

It was a beautiful day at Kellerman's with bright blue skies and not a cloud in sight. Kids' laughter echoed all around as they played in the lake behind us, and old men sat around in the lawn chairs smoking cigars and playing cards.

I wrapped my unruly hair into a tight bun, trying to put on a slick black wig that I'd found in the pile over my naturally wavy locks.

I hated my hair with a passion somedays, and I was still trying to muster up the courage to chop it off eventually. It never stayed how I wanted it too, and when I tried to manage it, unruly strands would randomly pop up and make it look like I'd just woken up. There were no products that helped tame it, and half the time I just left it down because it was easier that way. Even when I combed it, it would just puff out like a lions mane so I tried my best not to touch it since it had a mind of its own apparently.

Lisa Marie had been blessed with the good genetics; her caramel strands were glossy and smooth to the touch. She never had any problems with it, and she didn't even have to try to calm it down even morning like I so often tried to do with mine. It wasn't fair, but nothing in life was.

I stared at myself in the oval mirror, frowning at my reflection.

"Baby," Lisa said to my right, puffing out the bangs of her wig. "Can you do something for me?"

"Like what?"

"I need you to tell mom and dad that I went to lay down tonight." She said breezily, pursing her lips in the mirror.

"Why?" I took the wig off as my natural mess of frizz popped out the make shift bun. "Where are you going?"

So much for that little fantasy, I though with a sigh, running my fingers through my brown wave.

"To the golf course." She winked at me. "I hear there's a pretty view from the first tee."

I opened my mouth to say something else, but Jermaine came up behind her.

"And so I said, 'Ask not what your waiter can do for you," He began dramatically, "But what you can do for your waiter'." He grinned at her reflection. "I'm making so many tips that pretty soon I'll be able to afford my Alfa Romeo."

Lisa gasped, turning look at him from over her shoulder. "That's my favorite car!"

I rolled my eyes at the two of them, resting my head on my elevated palm. It looked like both of them were going to check out the golf course view tonight...

At the head of the table I saw Tatiana staring at them with a bothered expression as she distractedly organized the wigs infront of her.

Not only was she apart of the entertainment staff, but I noticed that she also took odd jobs here and there with crafts and women's activities.

I stared between her and my oblivious sister, wondering what Tatiana was thinking so hard about as she watched them.

Closing my eyes, I rested my forehead against the empty table infront of me as my hair dropped wildly around my head.

I was tired today, and I knew that it had a lot to do with the party last night. It was more excitement than I'd ever experienced in my life, and my body was paying the price for that.