Kellerman's

Diana:

I saw the long lineup of cars before we entered the driveway of the beautiful resort that sat nestled in the thick brush of lush trees and vegetation that surrounded it.

The air around us bristled with energy as families and couples ran around in various stages of getting settled in for their stay.

There were people playing games on the evergreen lawn, workers in matching white coats carrying luggage to cabins, and children that ran past with gleeful yelps and high pitched laughter as they chased each other.

It was different than how I'd imagine it being — almost like a high society camp ground for the doctors and lawyers of the world to come and lounge around in while drinking tea and eating pastries.

Cadillacs, Ramblers, and Buicks of every color all parked against the curb of the main building with their trunks popped wide open as the workers made quick work of taking suitcases, shoe boxes, and dress bags out of the back.

An electric buzz of energy swarmed around and swaddled us in its wave, making it hard for me to not feel some type of excitement for being here as I watched everyone from my open window.

Even Lisa had put down her mirror and hairbrush to look at the festivities happening around us.

It looked like there was already so much to do and see, and as soon as we got settled in I knew that I was going to explore the property when everyone was getting ready for dinner.

Kellerman's really did look beautiful from where I sat as our car rolled down the long blacktop entrance way.

We stopped at the end of the line as my father put the car in park, smiling widely at the three of us as if to say "See, what did I tell you? Nirvana!" before shutting off the engine and opening his door.

Lisa Marie was the first one to get out though as she stared at all the college-age workers who walked past with armfuls of shoe boxes.

She took off her sunglasses, gaping at them before bending down by our mothers open passenger window.

"Mom!" She nearly cried, "I should've brought the coral shoes. You said I was taking too much!"

"Well, sweetheart, you brought ten pairs." Our mom reminded her patiently.

"But the coral shoes match that dress!" She pouted with a heavy sigh.

I stepped out of the car as my white slip ons touched the hard blacktop, and the loud chatter of guests grew more prominent as they laughed and screamed from the big main lawn below.

"This is not a tragedy." Our Father said with a loving smile at Lisa, taking off his sunglasses. "A tragedy is three men trapped in a mine." He said with conviction. "Or police dogs used in Birmingham."

"Monks burning themselves in protest!" I added in my two-cents enthusiastically, leaning over the warm hood of the car with a small teasing smile.

Lisa glared at me with a look that I'd become accustomed to.

"Butt out, baby." She said sharply, shifting her gaze as another worker walked past with more boxes.

I grinned at her, before turning around at the sound of a loud megaphone.

"Okay!" A chubby man said excitedly, carrying around a clipboard and wearing a burgundy hat and jacket — both of which that said Kellerman's in the mustard yellow font. "We got horseshoes on the south lawn in 15 minutes!" He reminded anyone who was paying enough attention to listen.

I turned around, enjoying his infectious enthusiasm as I crossed my arms, listening to his spiel curiously.

"We've got splish-splash the water class down by the lake!" He continued charismatically, looking at the page infront of him. "We have the still life art class! We got volleyball and croquet!"