Fourteen

A/N: last update of 2023! happy new year :)

Griffin's POV:

Before the Nogitsune could taunt Eli further, an ear-piercing roar echoes around us which causes everyone's attention to snap upward.

I stopped slicing the wrap as I worriedly turned to Derek but he didn't seem afraid in the slightest. What stuck out to me the most is that his eyes brightly shine blue. Almost like he recognized the roar.

The Nogitsune stepped away from Eli to look out to the courtyard, giving me a clear view of Eli's eyes glowing gold as well until they returned to normal.

"Eli, did you see that?" Derek quickly asked. "Did you see your eyes?"

Eli narrowed his eyes. "How the hell am I supposed to see my eyes? They're the things I use to see!"

"Dude, they were glowing!" I add with a smile.

His eyes widen in disbelief. "What? They were?"

"Yes!" Derek exclaimed.

The Nogitsune loudly snarls in annoyance before he turns to Eli once more and walks up to him, much to Eli's dismay.

"Wait, don't!" Derek growled, but the Nogitsune grabbed onto Eli's cheek, letting his claws drag along.

"Tell me, Eli," The Nogitsune taunted. "do you like riddles?"

"I'm more of a limerick kind of guy. You know, I like the rhyming." The Nogitsune yanks Eli off of the wooden post hard enough to tear off the binds which causes him to groan.

"Let's put one of the players back in the game." The Nogitsune snarls and throws Eli.

"No!" Derek yells out.

"Ahhh!" Eli cries out but instead of falling down the stairs, he disappears into a puff of green smoke.

"Eli!" I slice the rest of the binds which instantly tears my wrists free. "You bastard!"

I lunge at the Nogitsune from behind and stab the dagger into his shoulder which causes him to let out a horrifying roar, causing our surroundings to violently shake.

He slams the back of his elbow against my nose and my grips loosen enough for him to flip me over his shoulder. He harshly slams me on the back which knocks the air out of me and the dagger to fly from my hand.

"No, Griffin!"

The Nogitsune grabs me by the collar of my shirt and lifts me from the ground at ease. "Agh--stupid boy! If you weren't a part of my plan, I'd kill you myself!" He snarled, forcing me back against the wooden post and the binds tied around my wrists once more.

Olivia's POV:

"Not my best work, but it'll do." I say, seeing the wrap's knot stick out from Scott's shirt. "You sure you'll be okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Scott asks, tearing his eyes away from the small window that gave him a decent view of the lacrosse game. "You?"

"Been through worse."

"Well, now that you two are okay," Allison spoke up from behind and we turned, seeing her pack the last of her arrows into her quiver before sliding it over her shoulder. "I need to find my father. If he's here, he's in danger too."

"Allison, wait." Scott quickly spoke up before she could turn to leave. "Look, I know everything is still a bit confusing, but we shouldn't split up. Your memories--I don't think it's safe."

Despite her helping us, it's clear enough to me that she was still conflicted. "I think I remember you, or maybe someone like you, maybe someone I cared for" Her eyes flicker to mine. "or maybe someone I was in love with."