10. The First Race

Today was the first race. My heart fluttered nervously as I waited in the grandstands, watching the first set of racers line up along the gate. I could easily pick out my brother's royal blue and black racing gear. He was digging a bigger rut into the front of his tire, then turned and hopped back on his blue bike. I know he was nervous—he hadn't stopped twitching with jitters all day. The practices the past few days had helped ease some tension in the riders, and while almost as many people showed up for some practices as they did the races, there was still a bigger crowd today. 

And now, these races matter more—whoever wins gets to add actual points along to bragging points. 

"Man, I don't think I've ever been this nervous for something my whole life," Becka muttered beside me. She was currently threading her ebony hair into a braid, mimicking me as had seen my two French braids. She finished and started wringing her hands. Glen was in this race as well. Reid would be in the race this afternoon—along with Greyson. I had breathed a sigh of relief when I heard that Greyson and Clay would be in opposite races. There was enough nervous tension going around. 

"How many points does the winner get?" she asked, her eyes still trained on her boyfriend a hundred yards away. 

"First place gets fifty points. Second gets thirty. Third gets twenty, fourth gets fifteen, fifth gets ten, sixth gets five, and then everyone after gets three."

She glanced at me, eyebrows raised. "What'd you do, study the competition handbook this morning?"

I shrugged. I had, in fact, studied the handbook this morning. 

There were seven race days in total before the final, and two races in each day to switch up who races with who. Fifty racers had qualified, so each race during race days would have twenty-five riders. 

At the end of the competition, the fifteen racers with the most points have one final race. 

"All Glen talks about is getting the most points, but there's going to be three going to the semi-finals up north from this competition anyway," Becka muttered. 

"Yeah, but the top point holder gets the equivalent of a full ride through semi-finals until pros," I countered. "No pun intended."

"So they just get sponsored?" she asked, looking over at me quizzically. Becka was a dedicated girlfriend, but that mostly meant coming to cheer Glen on—she didn't understand too much about the sport, just that her boyfriend's "rear looks real good in that gear", according to her words. 

I nodded. "Yeah, sponsored by Fox, meaning new gear, new bike, new whatever they want. And the first place winner gets a team manager paid for by Fox also."

Becka furrowed her eyebrows, then shrugged. "I don't know what that all means, really. But I hope Glen wins."

I smiled at her. If I wasn't standing on the fence watching my brother, Becka and I usually sat together in the stands. Glen's parents were also sitting with us, taking every chance to proudly state to those around them that their son was number "91" and pointing him out. 

 A sigh spilled from me as I watched them. Clay had asked my parents quietly if they were coming today, and my dad made up some excuse and my mom had a work event to go to. Clay shrugged it off, but I knew he wanted them to be there. After he had left I tried to talk my parents into coming. But no such luck.

I waved my hand toward Clay as I saw his helmet cock to the side, looking at the stands. He waved back, and I grinned. One thing I knew is that I would be here for Clay. I always would be.

"Mind if I join?" 

Becka and I glanced over to see a short brunette looking at us from the aisle. Her green eyes sparkled as she grinned at us.