14. Trouble in Paradise (Sibling Version)

A/N: I've been updating this story so quickly because Akaleee and kaylareadsz have been reading and voting and that makes my day. So I'll keep updating for them. Thank you both so much. 

- —@— -

"Can you get Reid to take you home today?" Clay asked as he finished polishing up his dirtbike for the second race of the competition. I watched from my seat in the folding chair next to his trailer, thinking it was unnecessary for him to take such care when it would be covered in dust in about a half hour.

"Why?" I asked.

Clay didn't respond as he focused on a particular patch of dirt he was trying to scrape off. I waited, eyebrows raised.

It'd been almost a week since I went on the dirtbike ride with Greyson, and Clay has been avoiding the topic all week, save for some dirty glances my way when Greyson's name was brought up for any reason.

Things had been tense between Clay and me. I didn't like it. I wasn't used to it. There's never really been anything to separate us save for minor sibling squabbles. Now we seemed to be guarding our words and interactions and I wasn't a fan of it. 

Reid had noticed as well—a couple of days ago muttering, "Trouble in paradise?" at mine and Clay's incessant arguing. 

He actually helped our relationship, as Clay and I were finally able to agree on one thing for the five minutes following—arguing with Reid.

"I'm going out after the races," he finally answered, standing up but still not looking at me. He pulled his shirt off to replace it with his racing gear he had laid over the seat of his bike. The race was in about twenty minutes, I knew he had to get to the gate soon.

"Where to?" I pressed, annoyed at his vague responses.

"Just out," he said shortly.

I altered my question. "With whom?"

He took his time snapping his boots on and cleaning his goggles. I didn't think I'd get an answer, but he responded. "With Audrey."

I raised my eyebrows at him, forgetting the tension between us as a smile threatened my mouth. "With Audrey?" I repeated, a hint of teasing gracing my voice.

I saw the corners of his mouth twitch. "That is what I said."

"You two are certainly getting along," I shot back at him, smirking.

"It's just a date, I've been on dates before."

"Yeah, but you seem to like her," I said. "More than others."

His cheeks flushed, and I chuckled. I don't think I'd ever seen him this jittery about a girl.

"Where are you taking her?" I asked, leaning back in the seat. The tension seemed to be draining, and after a long week of tiptoeing around each other, relief filled me. 

"Casa Blanca."

"Don't order the beans," I warned. "You remember what they did to you?"

He chuckled, throwing his gloves at me. I caught them easily and laughed back at him.

"I'm glad you're taking her out," I said, tossing his gloves back and standing, stretching my legs. "I like her."

He finally looked over at me, his face more relaxed than it'd been this week. "Me too." At this admittance, my smile grew.

"To the gate?" I asked. He nodded, and grabbed his helmet and slid it on. Then he hopped on his bike, fixing the strap under his helmet while I walked over and slid onto the bike behind him. The grandstands were a decent ways off, and he usually dropped me off on his way to the track.