25. Newfound Love for Gothic History

We spent the next couple of weeks sneaking around, and Greyson was right. It was fun.

Except for the few times we almost got caught.

At the next race, Greyson and Clay were in separate races and they both got first place. Since Clay and I were still on rocky ground, he assumed I just left to go home, but instead, one of the officials almost caught Greyson and me in Greyson's trailer... in a compromising position. Thankfully Champ had barked at the newcomer approaching, and Greyson tossed me unceremoniously into a pile of dirty towels at the back of his trailer.

Then after tutoring, I'd just left Gabby's room and walked down the hallway, only for a hand to shoot out and yank me into another room. Greyson scooped me up into a hug, his lips finding mine like he hadn't seen me for weeks as he pushed the door behind him shut and backed me up against the wall. Five seconds later, Gabby decided to enter the room because she wanted to talk to Greyson. Suffice to say, she was confused why Miss Cory was the color of a tomato and why I'd taken my sweatshirt off when I'd just been telling Gabby how cold I was.

And then today.

We decided to meet at the library. No one would question me because I always went there, it was just part of my routine.

And no one would think to look for Greyson there because it's a building full of books. Not really Greyson's thing.

His groaning and complaining was reminding me of that every two seconds.

He'd huffed twice, and when I still didn't look up from my book about the baroque period of music and how it correlated with the art of the time, he huffed once more—this one exaggerated and loud enough I think the other two people at the far opposite end of the building could hear.

I scowled, kicking him under the table. He winced, pursing his lips at me.

"You're being so loud!" I reprimanded him.

"It's too quiet in here."

"It's a library."

"Lord," he groaned, his head falling into his hands. "Don't remind me. How you finagled me to come here beats me, Lawson."

"I found you books! You don't even have to read, just look at the pictures." I gestured to the virtually untouched stack of books next to him, comic books about supercross I'd found.

"Bo-oring." He dragged out his words before slumping down onto his hands, rolling his head around the table.

I rolled my eyes, but a small smile formed. His chocolatey mess of hair was lit up from the dim light right above us. It was a Friday afternoon, almost no one was here at the library. There were no practices that morning because they needed to fix up the track before the race tomorrow, so Greyson was extra fidgety.

I needed to focus because I'd gotten more pre-homework assigned to me for the honors program. They didn't mess around. For some reason, the orientation that I was missing still had projects, and even though I wasn't going to be there, I still had to participate.

So I sighed, bringing my eyes away to focus them again on my book.

"Psst."

I closed my eyes, pinching the bridge of my nose. When I opened them again, I found Greyson's green eyes, his dark eyebrows raised expectantly, like a child seeking attention.

"Yes?" I asked quietly and slowly.

"Can you help me find another book?"

I raised my own eyebrow, skeptical. "Another book? About what?"