28. I Make My Choice

Jimmy lunged forward, wrapping his hands around my arm and yanking me close. I kicked out at him, cursing him, trying to push him away, but his grip felt like iron, and he was only encouraged by the other racers from Omayle shouting for him to "show me who's boss."

His hand slid around my waist, and I hated every part of him touching me. He was wrestling me over to the edge of the pool again, and I tried to bite his hand that came close to me but he dodged it, calling me something that made me even more mad with fury.

"Maybe this time I'll join you!" Jimmy crooned in my ear.

I felt his grip on my arm lighten for a split second, and I used it to slam my elbow into his stomach. He grunted, releasing his hold, and I shoved against him. He staggered back a few steps.

Right into Greyson's chest.

Greyson looked downright furious. No sooner had Jimmy fallen into him had the tall, dark-haired racer stepped around and shoved him hard, sending Jimmy sprawling onto his rear on the concrete floor.

"Get your hands off of her, Par."

Jimmy groaned on the ground, rolling to the side, favoring his back end. He glared up at Greyson before slowly getting up to his feet. The Omayle racer stood at the edge of the pool, and Greyson stepped forward to be between us.

"You know what I've also heard?" Jimmy said, his blue eyes glinting from the reflection of the pool. The few swimmers had all scurried to the far side, watching with wide eyes. I grit my teeth as I watched Jennings and the two guys with him come forward, standing behind Jimmy—his reinforcements. But Greyson didn't seem fazed, and the muscles in his back shifted as he tried to restrain himself.

I hugged my arms, peering around Grey at Jimmy.

"I heard you're Ryvers's play thing."

I clenched my jaw, but Greyson responded for me. "Shut your mouth, Par, before you end up on your ass again."

Jimmy held up his hands innocently. "Hey, we were just having fun! She looked like she needed a dip." I hugged my arms, conscious of my uncovered body. "Plus, it looks like you may be a little outnumbered here, Ryvers."

"What's going on?"

We all turned to see Clay had appeared outside, his eyebrows furrowed as they landed on Jimmy and Jennings, then Greyson whose fists were clenched as he stood protectively in front of me, then Clay's eyes found me, wet and shivering, my hair dripping and desperately trying to cover myself.

I praised the Lord that my big-headed brother actually put two and two together, and instead of accusing his archenemy, my brother did something I never thought I'd see.

He stepped up, going to stand side-by-side with Greyson, an outright image of support for the dark-haired racer. They were equal in height, and anger tightened both their shoulders.

Apparently, not only was I the reason they hated each other, I also was the reason they could team up as well.

"Who are you?" Clay spat toward Jimmy. I felt a thrill of delight in me that Clay actually had no idea who this racer was.

Jimmy glared at him. Jennings had backed up slightly, just enough to show he wasn't about to take on the two top guys in the competition.

"What'd you do with my sister?" Clay continued, apparently not caring enough to figure out who he was. He looked a little ridiculous in his Hawaiian shirt, but his tall figure was menacing enough as he glowered down at the racer across from him.

Jimmy sneered. "Just having a little fun. That sister of yours has quite the body, figured the world deserves to see more."

Clay fumed, taking a step forward, but Greyson actually held him back—not because the comment didn't affect him, as I could see Greyson's free fist tightening.