5. An Unfortunate Relative

I slammed the door of my truck shut, my eyes looking over the ruby hood to scrutinize the building set before me.

It was probably the nicest house I had the privilege to tutor at—and I'd tutored a lot of kids before. I stepped almost cautiously on the perfectly brick-layered path that led up the whitewashed porch. I stole a glance past my shoulder to the car standing on the edge of circular asphalt drive—a sleek ebony Maserati glinting in the sun. 

If it was someone this rich, why didn't they get a better, more professional tutor? Instead of feeling important and proud, I almost wanted them to find someone else. I really didn't want to be tutoring rich snobs.

But I told myself to get over it, and continued up the path. There was a dog laying out in the lawn, and upon seeing me walking over, it barked and jumped to it's feet, hurtling over to me. I knelt down, ruffling it's golden coat.

"Are your owners as nice as you?" I asked, smiling at the dog.

It let out a bark before nuzzling my hand and then slumping over to stretch out in the sun once more. There was no creaking as I stepped up the smooth stairs of the porch, passing between the tall columns on either side of me. A grand, mahogany door waited for me, and I took a deep breath before pressing the brass button on the stone surface.

I could faintly hear a bell ringing inside, then there was a soft patter of little feet rushing down stairs.

"Mama, she's here!" a voice cried excitedly. A moment later, the door clicked and swung wide open.

A little girl stood in the door, a smile that was missing two teeth wide on her face.

"Hello!" she chirped.

"Hi," I replied, shifting uncomfortably on my feet. "Um, are you Gabbie?"

Her smile got bigger, her big chocolate curls jumping up and down as she nodded emphatically. "Yes! And you're Miss Coraline."

A small curve lilted my face. "You can just call me Cory."

Before she could reply, another figure appeared—a pretty, middle-aged woman with brown eyes that matched her daughter's. A smile instantly split her face, welcoming and warm.

"Hello!" she said, stepping outside to offer me her hand. I took it graciously as she introduced herself. "You must be Coraline. But you go by Cory, did I hear?"

"Yes, Mrs. McAllister," I replied, smiling.

"Oh, please, call me Mandy! I see you've already met my daughter, Gabbie," Mandy continued with a raised eyebrow towards her daughter. If Gabbie's grin could get bigger, it did. I spotted another missing tooth. "Well, come on in!" 

Gabbie shut the door behind us, then took off toward the elaborate staircase not ten feet away, her feet running excitedly across the smooth, grey tiled surface.

"Gabrielle!" Mandy said in a reprimanding voice. Gabbie paused, her foot floating right above another step. She looked over her should, her expression one of a kid who did something wrong but had no idea what. "Aren't you going to offer Miss Cory something to drink or eat?"

Understanding lit up the little girl's face. She pivoted and tumbled down the stairs, coming to stand before me. "Would you like anything to drink or eat, Miss Cory?"

I suppressed a chuckle. "I'm fine, thank you, Gabbie."

Gabbie glanced at her mom, who dipped her head once and said, "Thank you, Gabbie. Go ahead and get your room set up for Cory, she'll be right up. I just need to talk to her for a second first."

The little girl turned to me and smiled, her warm brown eyes twinkling. "See you soon, Miss Cory!" She then whirled around and took off once more.

Mandy rolled her eyes, a glint lighting them up. "I apologize in advance for anything Gabbie does," she said. "But thank you for coming."