Part 3 - First Day

"ʸᵉˢᵗᵉʳᵈᵃʸ ⁱˢ ʰⁱˢᵗᵒʳʸ, ᵗᵒᵐᵒʳʳᵒʷ ⁱˢ ᵃ ᵐʸˢᵗᵉʳʸ."

Francesca's POV

𝐓𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝐈 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐈'𝐦 friends with some Barcelona players. Pedri, Gavi, Ansu... They're all my friends. And I like my job. I actually, out of everything I do weekly, enjoy it the most. I look forward to going to work.

I didn't always. I still remember the first day. It was warm, and in October. A nice lady named Julia showed me around, and led me to where the boys were training. I watched for a bit. I was nervous. I had never done a job like this before. It was unfamiliar. And, me not being a football fan, I knew nearly nothing about these people or the culture. All I knew was what I had previously researched online... Which wasn't a lot.

The first player I met wasn't Pedri. Or Gavi. Or Ansu. Or Kounde, Lewandowski, or Raphinha. The first two I met were actually Ousmane Dembele and Marcos Alonso.

I remember they walked over to me, and Dembele asked me, "Are you that photographer that is going to be hanging around?"

I wasn't quite sure why he knew I'd be here, and for some reason, it shook my nerves. Either way, I said, "Yeah, I was asked to come to work here as a photographer."

"Nice," he nodded, walking up to me to shake my hand. Alonso stayed back, but gave a friendly nod. "I'm Ousmane Dembele."

"I know," I blurted, only because  I had looked up Barcelona. I hadn't seen Alonso, though, and didn't know his name. "I don't know your name, though," I said simply. Then I realized how rude that must have sounded, and instantly regretted the way I chose to word my thoughts in that way.

He just smiled, just a little, though, and then said, "I'm Marcos Alonso."

"Oh yeah," I remember smiling, and then lying, just to make myself seem a little bit more friendly and less like a snotty jerk, "I have heard of you, too." I really never had. But it was nothing against him- going into it, I only knew of five players, those being Frenkie de Jong, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha, and Ousmane Dembele.

I didn't even know about Sergio Busquets, for God's sake. It really wasn't anything against Alonso.

And looking back, I'm sure he didn't take it to offense. But in that moment, I felt guilt, and I sure did think he did.

And I also remember thinking, Man, if this is how I'm starting out this job, this is going to be one rough one. I kind of started on the first day with a lot of dread and nervousness.

For that whole first day, I felt as if I was going to mess up, or I was doing it wrong, or I hadn't understood what I was supposed to do, despite the instructions Julia had given me.

Well, I had those worries the whole time, until, at the end, as everyone was leaving to get changes and head out the door, four of the younger looking guys walked over to me. One of them, who had dark short hair, thick eyebrows of the same color, and just a little bit of facial hair, called to me as they walked over, "You're the photographer?"

Again, I was kind of confused about how they all knew I'd be here. Regardless, I stood up off the grass, leaving my camera hanging from my neck, and walked to the four. The one who had spoken to me was Pedri. With him was the slightly shorter Gavi, the slightly younger Alejandro Balde, and the slightly older Eric Garcia. I was introduced to them, and the conversation I had with those four encouraged me. Suddenly, all the dread and nervousness was gone.

There were some nice guys, about my age, here, who were interested in being genuinely nice people and encouraging me.

They all said kind things, in their own ways.

Gavi said, "It is good to have you."

Pedri said, "I think you'll really enjoy us here at Barca. I'm glad you were recognized to have the job."

Balde said, "I hope to see you around a lot, then."

And Eric said, which got a laugh out of everyone, because somehow, we had all forgotten to ask each other, "I'm Eric Garcia. I'm sorry, but I don't think I caught your name."

I told them I was Francesca Perez. They told me they were Pedri, Gavi, Balde, and Eric. And it was nice to talk with them. That little talk at the end of the first day really sended everything in a good direction.

I remember as I went home that day I thought, Man, there are so many nice, handsome guys at FC Barcelona that are around my age... I wonder if, someday, in the future, I could have a chance with them.

The funniest thing, is that, on that day, I wasn't even thinking about Pedri with that thought. I was considering more Balde or Eric, for whatever reason.

Don't ask me why; I really don't know.

Now, I would say my two closest friends at FC Barcelona are Ansu Fati and Gavi. If I had to choose a favorite person, though, I'd say Pedri. Me and Pedri, unfortunately, for some reason, just haven't been able to become close. I tease him with my camera, and sometimes me, him, and Gavi meet up places and go out, but it's never just me and Pedri. I would like it to be. I have an interest in him. Not like some love thing. I just think he'd be a great guy. To hang out with. To be friends with. Nothing against Ansu and Gavi, though, either; they're great friends, too. I just think Pedri could also be a great friend. I think I could get along with him well. And, of course, if I was ever offered  a date with him, I'd totally take it. I'd take a date with any of them, though, honestly, that was close enough to my age and wasn't already with a girl. I just might take the date with Pedri a little bit more quickly, is all.