💚 Good Enough 💚

Pairing: Donnie X April, GN!Reader X Everyone
Type: Romantic for Apritello, platonic for Reader
Summary: Based on a song from A Week Away. April and Donnie both feel that the other deserves better.

You and April sat on the couch, waiting for the turtles to return from patrol. April scrolled through her photos, giggling at one of them. You looked over at her. Was the April O'Neil blushing?! You looked at the photo on the screen.

Oh.

"Apriiiiiil..." You sang teasingly. "Is a certain soft shell on your mind?" April's head snapped up.

"What?! No, of course not!" You raised an eyebrow. "I mean... maybe a little..?" You put a hand on her shoulder, offering her an encouraging look. "Okay, yes! I like Donnie!" You grinned.

"That's great! He totally likes you back!" You exclaimed. April groaned.

"(Y/N), no. We've been over this, Donnie doesn't see me like that!"

"Yeah, well, if the two of you just would talk."

=-=-=

On a rooftop a few miles away, two turtles were having a very similar conversation.

"Seriously, dude, you just gotta talk to her!" Leo told his twin in an exasperated tone.

"Yeah..." Donnie mumbled, turning away. April was too good for him anyways.

"Dude, c'mon-" Donnie cut him off angrily.

"I don't even know what I would say if I wanted to!" He shouted at Leo. He remembered when April had scolded him for keeping her from making friends at school. "Not exactly what the kids these days are calling cool." April probably wouldn't want him.

Leo shoved Donnie's shoulder a bit. "Don't overthink it, man, just do you." He tried to cheer Donnie up.

"If I were you, maybe that would be true."

=-=-=

"April, you could talk to that boy about anything and he'd be enraptured."

"What if I try to talk all smart and only dumb comes out?" All those times she made stupid mistakes, just trying to impress her genius friend. "I'm just a pretty face, like that's the only thing I'm about."

You looked your friend in the eye. No way was this going to fly. "There's way more to you!"

April slumped over. "I hope that's true..." She sighed. You smirked in response.

"Well it is."

=-=-=

"Can't help but wonder if I'm good enough." Donnie traced his finger over a photo of the two of them, hanging out and teasing each other. April barely even glanced at him these days, always avoiding eye contact.

=-=-=

"I just don't think that I am good enough..." April pulled the same photo from her pocket. Donnie was just so insanely amazing, what if she came across stupid in comparison?

=-=-=

"She don't even see me..." Donnie whispered to the picture, hugging it close.

=-=-=

"He's way out of my league. So stop talking crazy..." She told you sternly, putting the photo back.

You grabbed April's hand. "What're you talking about? There's just no way you're not good enough!"

=-=-=

Leo put a hand on Donnie's shoulder. "Don't let 'em tell you you're not good enough." He comforted. "A little weird is a good thing." Well, Donnie was a lot of weird.