01

7 years ago

7 years ago

New York, USA

"He's here," my mom muttered. I quickly got up and ran to my room. Just as I got to my room, the front door open.

My mom greeted my dad, "Hey. You're back," the next thing I heard make me close my eyes. Glass shatter across the living room while my mom cried in pain.

"NO! NO!" She shouted. "DON'T DO ANYTHING TO HER! PLEASE!"

I heard his foot step getting closer to my room. A huge hole form in my stomach. Soon enough, he start banging on my door.

"Open the door," he calmly demand.

"Open the fucking door, Asteria," his said harsher.

I remain quiet and didn't open the door. I cover my mouth while silently fighting my tears.

Last year, my dad lost his job. He becomes an alcoholic and abusive. My mom always shield me whenever he come close. Whenever he went out, I would come out. When he comes back, my mom make me hide in my room. I have to silently cried while hearing my mom begging. Sometime he would force me out of my room and beat me too. The bruise can leave for up to weeks. That's how long I have to hide those scars while being at school and acting that everything is fine. And that I have a happy family.

My dad kept on banging on my door but I still refuse to open. The door storm opened caused me to collapse on the floor with a loud thud. He started walking toward me with a drunk expression. Nonchalant. I start crawling backwards while my eyes are still on him. He then raises his hand and I feel a sting on my cheek. He slapped me. Again. And again. And again. My mom grabbed his wrist while trying to convince him to stop. He pushed her aside and pulled my hair.

"Next time," he spat. "If you hide from me again, you'll experience a lot worse," his tone is full of anger. I nodded. "SPEAK!" He yelled.

"Yes," I sobbed.

The sirens reach my ears which brought my eyes wide open.

"You call the fucking police you bitch!" He spats and slaps my mom. I stand up and try to hold him back. The police slam the door open and quickly hold back my dad.

"You're under arrest for physical abuse," the police calmly said as they handcuffs him.

My mom ran to me and hugged me tight.

A police officer walked up to us. "We would like you to cooperate," my mom nodded.

We went with the police. They did some questions.

"How long has he been like this?" The man asked.

"A year."

" Why? "

"He lost his job and became an alcoholic."

My hand starts shaking. My breath started to become heavy.