Chapter-18

The empty can of gasoline was thrown across carelessly

The empty can of gasoline was thrown across carelessly. There would be no need for it now. An unlit cigarette hung from my lips, as I searched my pockets for a lighter.

Finally finding it, I took the little thing out. The golden shine of the zippo lighter glinting under the setting sun. I took a deep breath, my throat closing up instantly as I fought to not cough up violently.

The stinging in my eyes had gone down to a slight dull ache. Even the slight breeze felt freezing against my skin. Flicking on the lighter the flame burst to life. My eyes mesmerised by the orange light.

Slowly I brought the lighter towards my mouth, lighting the cig in my mouth. Breathing in the nicotine. I hated cigarettes, was never really a fan of them, but at the moment it seemed fitting, as dramatic as it might sound, I was setting the scene.

The crunching of leaves behind me alerted me of a presence. Instead of turning to see who it was I kept my gaze forward. Looking towards the sunset and the soft watery reflection it cast on the river below.

"Ana?" Quinn's voice caused goosebumps to rise on my arm, I had expected for it to a random person or a rabbit if I was lucky, but that one's on me. Luck has certainly not been on my side since.....well ever.

I don't turn but the lump in my throat grows, and I look towards the sky, releasing a deep sigh, and blink to rid my eyes of the stubborn tears that just refuse to leave me.

"Why are you here?" I ask in a broken whisper. I didn't bother with clearing my throat. I didn't bother with much of anything at the moment, none of it was going to matter anyway.

"I'm on my way home." The thud of a bag hitting the ground could be heard, her art supplies bag, she was coming back from art class, she had those on Tuesdays and Fridays, Jeremy had them on Thursdays and Fridays.

See, I listen, I care. Who the fuck was I even proving myself to?

"I didn't know you lived in the fucking jungle." I reply, trying to keep my voice still. And maybe I wasn't being fair. I wasn't actually in a jungle.

This was more of a small patch of greenery hidden away in a secluded little area. It lead towards a river. It seemed like I had stumbled upon the perfect little place. It was nice, quite, peaceful.

I hadn't realised someone could find me here.

"It's a shortcut." Quinn's voice brought me out of my mind. "And did you just swim in the lake or what? Why are you drenched? And what the fuck is that smell?"

"Gasoline." I reply as I finally pluck up the courage to turn towards her. Momentarily she looks confused but when her eyes dropped to my hand. The one that had a tight grip on the lighter her eyes widened.