Chapter :3 - An Invitation

After a long long time the residents of the underworld felt warm, a feeling of livelihood, something that their souls were so deprived of since millennia

After a long long time the residents of the underworld felt warm, a feeling of livelihood, something that their souls were so deprived of since millennia. As it seems the coldness, their constant compadre wasn't brave enough to be present in the same room as the goddess of hearth and fire. Her red, long, wavy curls gleamed and it was sufficient to illuminate every corner of Hades's well organized throne room. Except one, one corner where stood the God of dead himself, thick dark smoke oozing out of his form, indicating his presence.

"After a long time, brother" Hestia expressed with a hint of sadness in her voice, seeing her brother after a decade brought numerous fond memories of past but then again she was reminded about their present,who they are now and what they have become, nothing is as before or nothing will be. In return Hades stayed silent making an attempt to keep his rigid image intact.

"It's nice to see you again and i must say you look-" She spoke once more, gesturing to his new self, someone whom she was unfamiliar yet familiar at the same time. "- magnificent."

"May I know what is the purpose of your visit?" Hades spoke with his emotionless voice. He came straight to the crux, not wanting to extend the conversation further. Hestia got what he was referring to. He was never someone to participate in long talks, she should have known better than any other.

"Yes, purpose.... Hermes... " She called for her companion of the day who also happens to be the messenger of the God. In fact it was only supposed to be him present in here, it was his duty to convey the news but 'it's Hades' Hestia told him. 'He deserves to hear it from me.' Her words were still ringing inside his head.

Hermes came forward with a scroll in hand, head bowed down in respect of both the elderly deities. He didn't spoke anything in contrast of his character, only handed the piece of paper to Hestia and left. He understood the need of privacy at this moment. After all he is one of Zeus's son and he can't withstand his father's disrespect which Hades will surely do once he hears to the message.

"Here... " Hestia extended her arm, offering the scroll to Hades for reading. "This is my purpose."

"What's in it?"

"An invitation."

"For?"

"It's inauguration ceremony of a new member..."

"Inauguration ceremony for a new God?..." He found it amusing, not because it's someone new but the fact that Zeus actually allowed it to happen. It pricked his interest even more. "Who is he?"

"Dionysus and he is not only a new god, He will become a new olympian."

"But there's already 12 olympians. Where will he belong?"

"I am leaving olympus. He will take-" before Hestia could even complete her whole monologue, a full-throated 'what?' resonated in the palace. Hades's voice was thunderous, enough to shake the ground beneath Hestia. He was not surprised or confused, he was furious, just as Hestia predicted.

"I am retreating from my olympian title." She repeated herself once more.

"Did zeus made you do it?"

"No, he did not. I am doing it myself."

"But why? What's the reason?"

"Because someone worthier than me is here."

"Someone worthier than you?.....You are the goddess of hearth and fire, mankind is nothing without you."

"It's time Hades. It's time that other's replace us."

"Don't talk like some mortal who is about to die?"

"Oh-! does mortals talk this way before dying? Aish.....how will i know? You are the God of dead after all.." Her attempt to lighten up the mood failed terribly when the other God glared at her.

"Don't try to divert the topic...."

"How did you know?" Hestia showed him her infamous smile, Something that remains the same even though she looks different now.

"Why it have to be you? Why not other someone?" Hades finally voiced out his true emotions, his voice now unnaturally soft and delicate. It is not the king of underworld nor the God of dead, it is the little brother in him who complained to his sister.

"I wanted it.... Other's have much more responsibilities than me, it can not be easily replaced so I suggested it."

"As expected from you."

"Huh?"

"Sacrificing your rights for others. It's who you are, always have been."

"I am not sacrificing. In a far more real sense I am being selfish..... I am not doing this for someone other, I am doing it for myself...... For outsiders the power and glory of being an olympian might look delightful but it is not. The truth is far more harsh than one can think.....I wanted to get out of it for a long time, now that the opportunity presented itself, I had to grab it,....My key to freedom."

"You are not really free. You never can be." Hestia knew what true meaning those words hold yet she replied nothing.

"Anyways,......so now that I'll not be one of the 12 olympians. I will have less things in my plate,...I can finally have my own ways of living and also I can visit you whenever and however I want."

"That wouldn't be necessary."

"You mean to say thank you." She suggested with a teasing tone. Out of all the sisters she knew him the most thus it was not hard for her to detect his unspoken words.

Hades said nothing in return, only turned around. He stood before the large casement with his hands on the sill, night breeze played with his long dark curls. After a long pause he spoke again;

"When is it?"

"After 6 days."