Chapter 7

Zhea

0130 hours

Zyair Havenglow

Revenge was the last entity that set itself in his mind right at the very moment when the moon disappeared from the midnight sky. For years, he thrived alone coveting puppets from different rulers and kingdoms. Some willingly pledged themselves to him while some were compelled to his command. However, he placed his trust in none of them except for Lorcan, the man who was sold off by his parents to him due to political purposes. A benefit he had more than the boy's family. As he gazed out of the oval translucent window, the prince made out the city he had manipulated for centuries. Everything and everyone in the City of Splitted Land will forever be under his grasp. No one could take over his authority in this kingdom. At least, no one would dare to challenge him.

Hearing the sound of a weapon sitting against the wall, the prince immediately knew who it was. Only Lorcan had access to his throne room and private studies without restrictions. He could only smile as he reminisced the days and nights they shared. Now, he would leave the story for another day as he straightened his back and turned around to meet those beautiful grey eyes that almost glimmered before the moonlight. This boy could be the death of him. He was a gift, but now a drug to his empty heart. Stepping close to Lorcan, he lowered himself to lift the chin that had fallen as per their tradition.

A commoner shall never gaze upon the royals - the handbook said, but Lorcan will always be the only one who is allowed to be astray from the kingdom's vieux jeu.

"I am eager for an answer or answers, but since they have arrived at such a ghastly hour, I guess I can leave you out of the punishment. But, I am expecting a name from you by the end of the week," the prince spoke, fingers grazing the sides of Lorcan's jawline. "I do not care how you do it or what it takes for you to get a name. All I know is I need names and answers. I would suggest you work quickly before I begin to run out of patience. Do you understand?"

Lorcan nodded in silence, and that annoyed him terribly. He cursed under his breath, clutching Lorcan's jaw tightly till he felt blood seeping into his perfectly filed nails. The cobalt blue liquid overflowed from his nails, creating a slight smudge across them and dripping onto the tiles. The prince despised silence, yet these days the only response he had gotten was the one he hated most. Gritting his teeth, he pushed the boy away from him. His fingers were dug deep into the skin, causing Lorcan's jaw to bleed blue. His grey eyes showed no emotion as he sat back, wiping the blood away with the sleeves of his armour. Within a few passing moments, the skin was stitched tight.

"If I can't make you talk," the prince warned as Lorcan faced away and began exiting the room. "I will make you sing. And if you do not prefer to sing, then I will make you scream and wail each time you set foot in my quarters."

"You have been doing that for years, Prince Zyair, and there is nothing special or new about all your plans except for your undying obsession with the Golden Hands," Lorcan answered, turning to face the prince as he gripped onto his spear tightly. "I am already doing your bidding for centuries, Zyair. Even if my blood is pure, my heart, soul and entity no longer are. Whatever I did and am doing for you was all against the course of the world. Would it make a difference if I talk or not?"

"It would," Zyair replied, tapping his fingers on the throne. "It could determine your survival here, among my court and kingdom. I know that there is one thing you still fear about. Death."

Zyair smirked when he saw the boy freeze in his spot just before the door. He knew Lorcan well enough to know that death was the only thing he feared. And, Zyair knew why. The boy could command armies of different species to wedge a war for Zhea, but he could not slip into Death's dimension. He couldn't and he wouldn't. No matter how large a wound Lorcan had to face, he would do it if it could prevent him from dealing with the opposite dimension.