Chapter 2

Red Rose Clan

2249 hours

Herbert Fletcher Zaeheri 

Invoking memories had always been the most dangerous process in any handbook of magical beings. He learnt from Elvia and Melia regarding memory suppressing to prevent any further hazard to the creatures. Lost memories were not meant to be retrieved. They act like poison to the fresh mind, and when Yueru insisted to retrieve the past, Herbert strongly protests, but a person's determination and stubbornness can never be anticipated in the long run. Strapping his sword behind his back, Herbert followed the sworn siblings of the Red Rose Clan to their sacred garden.

In the middle of the garden, a blood-red rose stood tall by itself. A periwinkle dome surrounded it safely to prevent any possible threats. Herbert could see sparkles forming from the edge of every petal that stuck on it artistically. From their conversation during supper, Ethan and Yun Ru had been kind enough to explain that the flower was the source of the clan. The core of these lands depended highly on this rose. Roses grow in bushes, but this remained in force alone, hence the name of their clan. It took nearly ten years for the three youngest siblings to form the perfect potion to shield the rose from all sorts of dangers from the outer world.

As a vampire, Herbert never really understood magic. The way they drew magic, and channelled those sparkly stars or hideous colours from anything around them just made him confused. His sisters often explained to him that magic is their energy, like his vampire strength and his other persona, but Herbert still could not grasp the idea of watching unknown flares whirling from different sources to form a stronghold. Not understanding might even be a better way for him to live in peace with the world. He never apprehended himself, and he turned out fine. In a way.

The pink moon was generous enough to provide them with sufficient lighting to thread among the grass. Herbert heard the siblings whispering among each other. From behind, he could make out the nervous figure in front of him. Yueru's palms were held behind his back, fingertips scratching onto the sides of his palms that were beginning to turn red. Only when the group stopped in their tracks did Herbert place his palms on Yueru's fingers to assure him that everything will be alright. Lifting his gaze towards the group, Herbert's eyes connected with Wane's brown ones.

"On your requests, my brother and I will try to relieve his memories, but we do not guarantee his livelihood or the effects aftermath. The decision is yours to make," Wane spoke sternly, stepping front from the perfectly formed circle with the second eldest net to him who strode ever so gracefully like the first snow descending from the skies. "There is still time to turn back. However, should you insist on proceeding, and permanent harm comes after, I need your assurance and witness, Golden Hands that you and your companion would not seek revenge and declare war with us. Not you or any of your descendants."

Before Herbert could utter a word, Yueru outspoke.

"We won't," Yueru answered swiftly, holding out his palms to signal Herbert to remain silent for he refused to put Herbert in an unfair position, considering how the elder was only here because he demanded that they go as a 'buy one free one' package. "Herbert will be our witness for tonight, but should there be any complications in the future, all we wish is to seek your assistance, and that will be the only request from us. Revenge and war will never be our options. We promise."

Herbert could read Wane's crystal clear and unmasked reaction when the eldest's eyebrows raised at Yueru's speech. Somehow, there lacked the power in them to convince Wane. Doubts swam within those brown seas as if there weren't enough exits to relish themselves in. Straightening his back, Hebert exchanged a short glance with Yueru which met Yong Min's desolate stare. It reminded him of stories that had been circulating among the werewolf clans across lands that Yong Min, the last and only and only descendent of the extinct Shae clan could wipe out the whole population easily with just intention and power.