Chapter 12

Zhea

1718 hours

Zyair Havenglow

The evening sunlight broke through the rainbow windows, reflecting onto the silverwares that were covered with gravies and spilt wine. One could have assumed that a beast had fed itself on the royal table in front of the prince. Wiping off the stain from his lips, Zyair set the cloth on the table. He glared at the limp figure before him, setting both his palms under his chin to admire the swirling torment on his face. The boy's eyebrows furrowed every now and then, biting down his dried and cracked lips to suppress his pain. While he thrived in the sight, Zyair could hear the silent curses coming from Lorcan who stood next to him. Lorcan's grip set tight on his spear where his knuckles almost turned white. Zyair sneered, picking up the glass to gulp down his juice.

"What were you planning to do with the map? What exactly are you looking for in this forsaken castle?" Zyair questioned, running his eyes along the beautiful paintings by the wall and pillars before meeting Yueru's darkened blue eyes that mirrored the veins on his jawlines. "Is it the archives? Or the arsenal? Perhaps the laboratory? It wouldn't be for Zhea's money, am I right? It would only tarnish your reputation if news spread that a prince is stealing gold for another. What a sad and ridiculous ending would it be."

Reaching out his palms towards Lorcan, the other wasted no time in handing out the desired item. Zyair rolled the map open, studying its condition. He lifted his head from the map and stood up. Zyair dragged his boots across the tiles, executing a jarring sound that caused the prince to flinch. He stopped just before him, turning his head to the side to see the infected wounds. The irony of everything he knew. He never thought the books were real where one day, there would be vampires who could be allergic to the most common item in the room. Zyair wondered if there would be anyone who will be averse to wine or maybe even fruits. One sip or drip to ruin it all.

"I had my suspicions," the prince of Zhea spoke, trailing his fingers across Yueru's damp hair, and took a few steps backwards. "You were not the one standing out anyways. It was Herbert, the all-legendary vampire who is now slowly becoming a myth. His blood that heals the slightest pain in the world, and a heart raging with hellfire. Not forgetting his sword that could tear worlds apart."

"Whatever you have read or heard could just be a mirage. Your perception of him is not how others view him. No matter what you have seen or heard, those are just a speck of sweeping dust away from who he truly is," Yueru answered, wriggling his arms behind him only to feel them tightening around his wrists, waists and neck. "You might be a prince, but you do not know who he is."

"Do I not?" Zyair sneered, straightening his back and proceeded in adjusting the hem of his oversized blue robe. "Unlike Roa, Zhea has been evolving through centuries where even the oldest being could forget what it once was. You might have spent your nights admiring the legend, but there are some who suffered because of him, because of what he is. A curse, and a royal curse."

Zyair could see the disbelief lining up in Yueru's blue eyes. Even in pain, the prince was still defending the vampire who ripped his life apart. Revenge seemed to have begun its race on the track earlier than the release of the burning arrow. He could not find the thorn of satisfaction in his chest. Biting his inner cheeks, Zyair turned around to face the throne. A throne that was admired by all until red painted itself when he least anticipated it. This time, it could be the other way around. It must be. He must not and will not be the one who crumbles against his ankles. It would be fun to watch a change. His heart raced against the ticking time by the wall and the changing patterns in the skies. Should Lorcan be right, then everything could work out since he knew that Herbert would not dare to tarnish this prince's reputation with his. It was obvious to him.