Chapter 1

Red Rose Clan

1958 hours

Herbert Fletcher Zaeheri

He never knew he needed a companion. He dreaded having one during his younger days. Even now, at certain times, Herbert craved to be alone. He yearned for a personal space to just sit and dissolve in his mind that was never silent above his past or his future. Sitting at the branch of the tree, Herbert made out the sight of mermaids and mermen transforming themselves just as they reached ashore. An ear-splitting whistle claimed the silence, replacing it with harmonious music of the sea. Soft pinkish light glow from under the seabed, granting another group of merfolk their ability to walk on land. They walked wobbly at first, yet they remained graceful as they cascaded into the marketplace.

Herbert enjoyed the scent of seawater washing ashore, joined by the fragrance of barbecue coming from the edge of the market. His fingers drummed against the branch, tallying it with the rhythm of string music from the closest band. Behind him, lay the home of the leaders of the clan. Unlike Harl or Roa, the leaders lived in such modesty that one might assume this land is leaderless. Herbert positioned himself comfortably on the branch, hoping he could get the full view of both the market and the home as smoke began to exit the chimney.

Here in this miniature clan, all creatures lived in harmony, unlike Roa. Herbert heard countless stories about Roa when he was a child and was even warned about the dangers they possessed. However, who could have taught that he would form a bond with the prince of Roa? Egoistic and humble all in the shell of the undead prince. The boy he knew had gained a certain reputation from his people. Well, Herbert had to admit that even the creatures respected the prince more than his father. They paid homage to the younger often so than the king.

From his escapade in the library, Herbert was exposed to the adversity of this place. Slaughter and arrest were described as their strong suit, but after visiting, Herbert had to confess that writings are made up of the author's unruly perception and conception.

People rely on their instincts rather than the truth. They write facts that are based on guessing games, ideas from passersby or maybe even just their unfitting imaginations. After his itinerant for almost eight hundred years, Herbert always reminds himself that no matter how good you are as a person, society always has a way to ruin you.

"While you are staring at the bustling city, I decided to head down myself to get us some dinner," Yueru announced, showing off the paper bags containing their appetizing dinner as he skillfully climbed onto the branch. "The host has insisted that we join them for supper. I agreed, so here I am, hoping that you will not deny me the pride."

Chuckles escaped his lips as he helped Yueru unpack their dinner and balanced them on the branch. Even though they both have supersonic reflexes, Herbert did not want to imagine the mess that could possibly cause stunted growth on the grass below. Studying the meal Yueru had bought, he smiled, watching the familiar delicacies in it. It was just last night that Herbert took the courage to express his homesickness after their long journey. They don't exactly spend time talking about their life, but last night just felt right to have a heart-to-heart session.

"Well, considering the time you took yesterday to listen to me, and the dinner you set before me," spoke Herbert as he met those light blue eyes calmly and nodded. "I will join them for supper."

Herbert proceeded in picking out one of the fried nian gao for Yueru and continued.

"You should try this while it is hot. The texture is really good; a mix of chewy from the glutinous rice flour and crispy from the slices of yam. I can guarantee you that it will be better than your caterpillars," Herbert boasted with confidence, chest upwards and watched as the prince took a bite of the hot nian gao who then advanced to continuous humming. A satisfying smile plastered on Herbert's face. "The precise reaction I am expecting for."

"I have to admit it tastes heavenly, Fletcher, but that does not give you permission to insult those caterpillars I am consuming. They are a special breed by the Cultivators to feed us, Roans," Yueru explained with patience, munching on his light dinner. "It prevents us from massacring each other. The Naturals and Evolves aren't exactly prone to the 'no feeding off each other' rules yet. And, as a prince of the people, I am expected to follow my father's rules. Rules that are outdated."

"You speak freely of your ideas when you are away from your kingdom, Yueru. The courage lives within you, and I am hoping there might be a day when I will be able to see you express your true leadership," Herbert declared. "Your life turns out to be a lot different from the vampires living in Roa. I know what it's like to have intense blood lust, but you, my dear -, you are a living definition of dead and alive not dead or alive. Still, I can't picture you eating a caterpillar. Nope."

Yueru's chuckles filled the air while Herbert proceeded with the next bag. He was adopted by two caring sisters who taught him to control his lust for years. The warnings were still prominent in his mind. His cravings could return anytime to trigger him since he wasn't just 'any' vampire. Leaning his head back onto the tree, Herbert pondered if the young prince could accept their friendship, should he meet the other persona that could cost him his royal life. News would spread about him being a bad influence, maybe a new name for him, Golden Poison. He giggled as he ran all those thoughts through his mind.

"When we head back to Roa, I am going to order my chefs to prepare our signature Roan Caterpillar dish to impress you. I am confident it will change your mind. Mark my words, Herbert," Yueru announced. "Hopefully, we managed to reach back, discover father's secrets and most importantly, stay alive. And by staying alive, I meant the both of us. I am taking back my words on holding you in my arms as you die. Coming to think of it, I really need you on this journey. I think it would be a rather boring one without you."

"You are a prince, Yueru. Life is never boring when you are one," stated Herbert with a soft laugh. "You still have to make sure all your sides of the compass are clear of threats. And, stay sane."

Pointing towards the scar on his neck that Herbert hated to see, Yueru smirked. "I survived your venom, Golden Hands, so I swear on Ixant's tail that I will stay sane till the end of my journey, and I expect the same from you."

The same from me?

Herbert beamed. He nodded quietly as his fingers pressed onto the cup of his drinks which made a cracking sound. When Yueru had turned to meet his eyes for further assurance, he blinked and bobbed his head. Sanity was, is and will never be his strong suit. He has had several unplanned episodes that caused some dead creatures that passed Harl. Especially during the full moon, Herbert often found himself awake in the middle of the woods, thorns in his skin, naked, and frequently, with a corpse by his side.

"Alright then," Yueru spoke, holding onto Herbert's palms. "That's a promise we both will keep. Stay alive and sane through this journey. Now, let's head in to prepare ourselves. Perhaps once it's done earlier, we can have a trip to the market. There are wonders out there in the world, Herbert. You never have to be afraid of the power you carry within."

"Tsh," Herbert scoffed, picking up the bags while carrying his golden sword behind him. "Stop giving me brotherly advice, Yueru. You are getting too comfortable with me, and I might have you for dinner one day."

Word Count: 1360 words

Cumulative Word Count: 1669 words