4. Housewarming

"Greetings, Neighbor!" His voice echoed in the kitchen, and for a moment, I thought I was dreaming about him. Not like romantic fantasies in my head, but a hallucination like I had this morning. I crossed my arms across my chest and asked, "How did you come in?"

"The door?" He walked towards me, standing just a foot away, and my irritation grew. "What are you doing here?" I asked impatiently. I didn't have time for his nonsense, and I was hungry.

As I silently wondered if I could eat him instead, he continued, "Well, I am a kind, friendly neighbor, and I thought to present you a housewarming gift." He strolled towards the refrigerator and, moments later, emerged with a delicious-looking black forest cake in his hands, cherries and all.

Though I loved chocolate, the bitterness of chocolate cakes had never been my thing. Why all these formalities? It's not like we moved here today. Mom arrived here a month ago. Not that I was complaining. The cake was mouthwatering, and my stomach churned at the sight.

"It's all yours!" he announced with pride in his voice. Did he make that?

"Thank you. You may leave," I replied a bit rudely, eager for him to go.

My response seemed to render him speechless for a moment, and he tried to form words but shook his head instead. After placing the cake on the kitchen counter, he walked out of the house through the back door.

No mockery or witty words from him? Weird. Not that I yearned for him to stand and bicker with me. I was totally thankful that he left. However, I stared at the back door a little longer.

Then my attention turned towards the big piece of sugar and calories right in front of me, inviting me to eat it. I mean, I would gulp it down without a second thought if I hadn't heard enough times that I needed to lose weight. That wasn't going to stop me this time when the delicious cake was sitting on the counter, just for me. As I walked towards it, I heard the back door open.

Please, not him.

I looked towards the door, and to my relief, I found Jake instead. I let out a huge sigh. That boy was affecting me quite too much. A devil he was.

"Don't tell me you made this," Jake said with a raised brow.

"Um... The neighbor?" I mumbled, realizing I didn't even know his name. I should ask the next time he crossed my path. He had a habit of doing so. "The Monroes?"

"Ah, all that stuff..." he cut me off as he grabbed a knife from one of the drawers.

Jake cut a piece for himself and ate it before I could warn him. Who knew? It might be some prank by that guy. He's... him, after all.

"Whoa, it's delicious! No wonder Sand & Witches is so popular," mumbled he with cake still in his mouth.

"What?"

"The Monroes?" he explained. "Our neighbor. They own the restaurant, dummy. Mom works for them. I told you before."

Really? That was my problem. I was an absent-minded person and usually ignored all the important information.

I frowned as Jake took another piece of cake with him to the living room and plunged onto one of the couches. I, on the other hand, contemplated how recklessly I behaved with the son of mom's boss. Mom got a good-paying job, and we got this house at a low rent. Moreover, his son, who's a bit arrogant and egoistic, brought the cake. I felt a pang of guilt in my empty stomach.

The back door opened and slammed loudly. I let out a shriek and shuffled towards the door to close it. As I reached the door, I saw the beautiful sun setting down on the horizon. I beamed as I took in the mesmerizing scene.