Chapter 8 - The Uninvited

There was only one explanation for all that was happening.

Kathy was killed and I'm a hundred percent sure I wasn't dreaming when I saw her at the window. And that day, that woman was a ghost, she has to be. The bruise on my arm was the proof. Even my mom noticed that bruise.

The constant feeling of someone watching us from behind, the wind gushing by our side as if someone walked by, the cold feeling, the suffocation; I had read about it.

I was actually surprised that I deciphered it so easily. The next door guy was trying to tell me this, wasn't he? I have to find out why he wanted to tell about Kathy's murder. The question was how was she killed? Did she died due to the presence of paranormal energy? And why did it killed her?

My brain was crowded with abundant thoughts. What if I was wrong? How can I even conclude that it all happened due to a paranormal spirit??

I had two way thoughts. I had 99 problems and now this was number one. But first, I have to tell mom. We can't live here.

I paced around in my room. I was trying to put all the pieces together. I was trying to find one reason to believe this was wrong.

"Claire, I'm going to Rick's." Jake called out.

I went out of my room and found him down the staircase near the front door. I nodded.

I returned to my room and stood at the windows facing the lake. The sun was already down by the far horizon and the blue darkness was spattered across the sky. Mom was already on her job. She was doing overtime to meet all our expenses. Jake was trying to find a job. I was turning 17 this weekend.

I was finally feeling that everything was coming together, the lost pieces were found and the picture was getting complete. And then again a dead end. I needed to get out of that room. It was eating me up. It was taking me into my depths, my dark undiscovered depths. I was really afraid now.

I went out of my room and shut the door. It was completely dark. The only sound was coming from my feet as I descended downstairs. My heartbeat was getting faster and faster. I had a feeling that someone was watching me. Someone was staring me from the farthest corner of my house, watching my every single move.

The hairs on the back of my spine stood up. I was feeling every single place of my body as it was beating and pumping. The temperature suddenly dropped. It felt like some creature will crawl towards me on the stairs and drag me with it. I was shaking uncontrollably. I was sweating.

It was fear. I knew that. I was strong enough to handle anything. I erased the thoughts from my mind and clicked on the lights when I reached down. I went towards the kitchen. I froze in my place. I felt there was someone under the staircase, watching me.

Don't turn around, don't turn around.

I turned my neck sideways and peeked through my eyes. A lady was standing there looking at me. She wore a beautiful long white dress. A bridal dress? There was something on that dress. Blood!

I jerk my neck towards her. I saw no one. The place was empty. I freaked out. I rushed towards the kitchen and flicked on the lights. It was my imagination. There was no one. Or did she disappeared?

I grabbed out a bottle of water from the refrigerator and gulp down half of it. My heart was still thumping loudly in my chest. I tighten my fist and squeeze my eyes shut.

Please don't let it be true, please.

I opened my eyes, placed the bottle back in place, turned off the lights and headed back towards the stairs. I turned around to look one more time.

I saw her again. She was not the one who gave me bruise few weeks ago. She was someone else. She was standing in the living room near the couch looking up to me. Blood flowed from her forehead. It looked like someone had shot her with a gun. Was she murdered?

I was glued. I was looking at her with my wide eyes. A moment later, I realized she made a slight movement. I turned around and rushed upstairs as she chased after me.

She was freaking flying after me.

I gushed into my room and locked my door. I climbed upon my bed and hide under the cover. I squeezed my lips together to stop myself from screaming. I shut my eyes. I was panting hard. My heart was drumming against my ribs.

I knew, in a moment, she'll be standing near my bed looking at me with pathos. And in the very next moment, I'll breathe my last. I wanted to peek out of my blanket and look in the room. My heart wasn't saying so.

Few minutes passed. Nothing happened. Few minutes changed into an hour or something. Still, no sign of her or that I know of. I reluctantly removed the covers. My room was completely dark. Pure black. Fortunately, I didn't felt her presence.

"Claire, Claire?" my mother's voiced echoed. I heard the main door clicked.

Mom was here. I was saved. There was someone in the house, someone so dear to me. A feeling of relief washed over me. I was safe. I climbed out of my bed and rushed out of my room.

It was still dark down there.

"Mom?" I called out.

No response.

"Mom!!" I shouted again.

Still no response.

I tighten my fist at my side.

No, she's home. I'm safe now. She'll never let anything happen to me.

I felt a warm breathe on the nape of my neck. Mom was upstairs. She was standing behind me. I let out a huge sigh. But somehow I still wasn't sure.

"Mom?" I still asked.

No response.

It was giving me creeps. My mom is not one of those person who makes pranks and jokes. She was a straightforward and formal person. I knew it wasn't her. I realized she didn't called me either. In fact she wasn't even home. Why would she be? It was still past 12.

I was on verge of breaking down. Tears blurred my vision. My lips quivered. I turned back. I saw someone glowing in the dark. She was here. A feet away.

I screamed.