56.1 - Back Story

I lost my dad when I was seven or eight years old. We weren't rich or anything like that. But my old man was a man of values. He taught me about life, about money, about good versus bad, and most importantly, love.

Back in the days, for a guy to openly declared his love for his woman was frowned upon. It was considered unmanly. But my dad didn't care. He loved my mother and us so much, he'd never miss a day without showing us. He'd help her in the kitchen, massage her legs when she was tired, cook her favorite dishes and plan romantic dates for her. He was my idol and I wanted a love so selfless and pure.

It was a hard time for all of us after we lost him in an accident. We had no idea he'd never return from his trip. I still remember him saying to me, 'You're the only man now while I'm gone. Take good care of them, OK?' And I saluted him as if he'd signed me up for something important.

My sister, Dora, she was 3-4 years old and barely remembered him but I'd always teach her the same lessons my father taught me and then I'd go to my room and cry, missing him.

My mother would balance between 3 jobs without taking a break and I'd help her in any way I can. That's how I got interested in cooking. Her jobs made it impossible for her to cook a proper meal for us so I'd prepare it myself. We were all learning and adjusting without my dad.

After few years, we were hit by another blow. I was around 15 when my mother was diagnosed with an incurable disease. The doctors had lost their hopes for her to survive. I dropped out of my school and started working for my uncle at a restaurant. It was a hard time for Dora to see mom in such vulnerable condition. And so for our mom who was worried about us.

After working for few months with my uncle, he fired me from the job because he was bankrupt. I suggested purchasing his restaurant with all the savings we had. Mother agreed. I named it 'Sands & Witches' and turned it into a place for teens. I wanted to make it lively and full of joy so that I could forget about the environment back at my home.

And it worked. I hired all the ex-employees and asked them to work for free for few months. They were unemployed too but agreed. I remember my uncle telling me with his chubby arms on his hips, 'Andy Jr. I don't know what it's 'bout you but you brought life back to this place and people. You'll do well.'

The restaurant was booming with success after few months. Tourist, locals- everyone would visit there.

And that's how I met Gabriela.

A beautiful girl around my age with big round eyes entered the restaurant one weekend and I had spilled all her coffee over her.

"Wait. Around your age? She was way older than you." Rick interrupted for the first time.

"She was a true witch and could appear in any age she wishes."

"Interesting." Rick murmured before Ander continued.

She was with a group of friends. It made me nostalgic as I wasn't in touch with my pals. After they ordered, I approached them to invite them for my restaurant's success party. We originally planned to invite our loyal customers but there was something about her that I couldn't resist.

Just as I explained about the party, a waiter came back with their order. And I was so mesmerized in her, I accidentally poked my elbow to the waiter and spilled all the contents on her.

"So you've been bumping into waiters since centuries. Literally!" Rick interrupted again, remembering the mess Ander made on his and Claire's 'date'. "But, that bitch deserved it."

Ander eyed him in annoyance.

"I mean witch."

Ander ignored him and continued.