Chapter 39 - Beginning of the End

Please, let me reach the backyard. Please!

Dragging my legs, I sauntered into the kitchen. My knees had paralyzed with pain and my vision blurred out. I held the kitchen counter with one hand and looked back at Jake. His possessed eyes were glaring at me.

"Run, Claire.." he said in his shaky voice. Jake said. The actual him. I almost rushed towards him to hug him but he shouted, "Go away!"

I halted. I had no idea where to go. What to do. I can't leave him alone. She'll kill Jake.

I'll come back for you, Jake. I whispered. I dragged my feet out of the house to backyard. It was mostly dark and I had no idea what to do now. I rested my hands on my knees and took deep breaths. Tears poured down my eyes.

"Claire!" I heard a familiar voice. He wasn't Will though. Rick appeared in front of me. He was out of breath. Maybe he ran up from the shore.

He extended his hand to place his hand on my shoulder but took back again. His confused eyes stared me with fear. "Jake.." I said with a sob and and pointed my thumb over my shoulder towards my house. "He's.." I began but Rick took steps towards my house.

I caught his hands. "Don't.. Don't go in there.."

I broke down to tears. I tried to muffle my cry but Rick shook my arms and asked, "Will you tell me what happened? Are you.. alright?"

I shook my head. Sharp pain shoot up in my knees making me moan in pain.

Mom. I need my mom.

"Come with me, Claire.. if you.. I mean." Rick again caught my hand but retreated backwards. He wasn't sure if he should hold me.

"Claire?" a wave of relief soothed my ears as his voice echoed in the silence between my mourning.

A strong pair of arms took me in the warmth, my head was rested against a hard chest. I took a deep painful breath as Will's hand rubbed my back.

"What happened?" I couldn't answer.

Will held me in his comfort for few minutes and then asked again, "What happened?"

I looked at Will's dark blue shirt soaked in my tears. Then, I looked at him. The dim lights from his backyard shone upon his features. His light eyes screamed to tell him something. "Something.." I hiccuped, "Jake.."

"I'm going inside, ok? " his arms were no longer around me. He placed his palm on my cheek, "Just wait here.. "

"No, don't go inside.. " I said but he was already opening the door and entering. Will had shut the door behind him.

Rick's curious eyes gazed me as I dropped down to ground and sobbed.

"Tell me something, Claire." he said quietly at first. I sobbed more. "Tell me what fucking happened!"

I flinched at his raised voice. Rick sat down beside me, his palm rubbing my back. "Please."

I told him. I told him everything I knew. He listened carefully and patiently.

"I'm sorry, Claire." Rick whispered. I cried more.

"I know him. I know Sebastian. He'll help, Claire." I looked up at him with hope. "He's my dad's cousin. I'll talk to him. Right now."

I nodded and wiped tears from my face. They kept rolling down somehow.

"He's gone." I looked up to see Will coming towards me. He dropped his knees beside me and wrapped me in a bear hug. "Your brother ran away."

"Will he be okay?" I asked but regret rushed over me. Will didn't answer. He didn't have to.

"You're not going to stay the night here, are you? Your mom is not even home. She hasn't been home since two days. It's not safe. You can come over if you want." Rick broke the silence.

Rick is right. Mom was out of town for some work. I was happy to see her so cheerful after so long. Since the night she went swimming in the lake, she's been acting different. Happy. And as long as she's happy, everything will be fine. But how does Rick know that? I looked up at him to ask but Will interrupted.

"I'm here as long as she needs me. She'll be safe." His voice was firm. Rick backed up and nodded.

"We'll fix this, Claire. That dumb-ass will rot in hell. We're together in this." Rick said and walked away.

Will flinched when Rick spoke as if he was trying to control his anger. "He knows the exorcist, Will. He agreed to help." I buried my face in his chest and said.

He rubbed my arms and whispered, "I know, Claire. You'll be all right." The relief in his voice soothed me.

We sat there for hours or just few minutes, I had no idea. Me wrapped in comfort by the person I love. He held me while I cried again. He was wrong. I'm not strong. I'm fragile. Wait, did I say 'the person I love'? Love! I did not. I like him. He's different from everyone I know. And he likes me. But love? I know I need him. But do I want him? Is he for me? Does his feelings reciprocate? It's all messed up. At this point, it does not even matter. What I fear is will I even get out of it?

Will kissed my temple and feeling of warmth fled through me. As long as he's here, I will be okay. I've lost enough, I can't lose him.

Will informed me few minutes later that it was safe to go back in. I declined. I will not go back in that house. Not at least alone. He laughed. "Do you think I'd let you stay in there alone?"

He helped me up when he noticed me limping. "You're hurt. Are you severely injured?"

I shook my head no. I'm sure the injuries were mainly on bones. Internal. But I felt no physical pain compared to the trauma in my head. "I'll be fine." I didn't want to go back in my room so we decided to sleep on the couches in the living room. If anything happens, we can elope out of the house, if we have enough time.

I snuggle on the couch facing TV. Will just sat down on the carpet, his back resting against the other couch near my leg. His fingers were making circles on my ankles and somehow that was the most natural thing. I asked him in my sleepy voice, "Why don't you take some rest too?"

"I don't think I could sleep now."

I waited for the next day to arrive. I waited for the hours of darkness pass; waited for this nightmare to end. But it didn't. The worst kind of problems are the ones you couldn't run from.

Last thing I remember before I fell asleep was Will's eyes. They were staring me with so many scary emotions. Fear. Hatred. Anger. Hurt. Worst of all, Love.

-------

How's the thrill? Are you guys enjoying?

I started this book as a horror and it turned out to be a romance thriller. Anyhow, I leaned so much. I'm so proud to look at all the words I've put here. Most importantly, I'm so SO grateful for each and every single person who's taking their time to read this. It means the world to me. It's like #DreamComeTrue for me.❤

Ever grateful for the support here. Stay tuned for more. And do me a favor, if you're a GYBY reader and you like this book, please Vote/Comment/Add/Share to let me know you're reading this.