Chapter One: Seeking Perfection

May 2010

∘₊✧────✧₊∘

An unopened voicemail notification flashed on the screen of Holland's phone as she turned it back on. She clicked on the pop-up notification before pressing the device to her ear.

As the message began to play, the feeling of being a disappointment had already began to set in as she heard, "hey, kiddo. Sorry I missed your graduation speech. Got caught up at work but I can't wait to hear all about it later when I see you. We will be sure to celebrate later!" Tony laughed into the phone before ending the recording.

She couldn't pinpoint whether it was the meaningless lies he told as they rolled off of his tongue or the woman in the background, begging for his attention for him to join her back in bed that made her feel worthless in that moment.

After all, she had been behind the curve her dad had set forth. Graduating high school at seventeen was merely an accomplishment compared to her father who graduated MIT at seventeen years old. Not to forget about the countless degrees held by her father.

As she walked out the gymnasium, the meaningless diploma in hand, she was met by three big, proud smiles.

"You did it!" Pepper exclaimed, grabbing the girl in a hug. Happy, smiled from ear to ear, having been touched by her speech.

"Congrats, Hollie" Rhodes beamed, placing a firm hand on her shoulder and giving it a supportive squeeze. He was being the supportive godfather he always was.

"He didn't show." Holland sulked. Pepper and Happy exchanged looks with each other, having hoped their affection would have eased this pain for her. Clearly it hadn't.

"Your dad is an ass, if you ask me." Rhodes whispered to her as they began to make their way towards the car parked out front in the fire zone. But she hadn't asked. It wasn't what she wanted or needed to hear. "I'll see you tomorrow" he smiled, giving her shoulder another squeeze before walking to the parking lot where he had parked his car.

Pepper and Holland climbed into the back of the car while Happy took the driver seat. Holland removed her graduation cap, feeling not one ounce of happiness or sense of accomplishment.

"Can we go over the itinerary?" Pepper asked in a hesitant tone. While she had watched Holland grow up and become a great, smart, successful young lady, she was still the assistant to Tony Stark and knew where her priorities lied.

"Sure." Holland shrugged, removing her gown and brushing her slightly tangled curls out with her fingers.

"The jet will depart for Vegas tonight at six o'clock. You can join your father there. The Apogee Awards is the following night at seven pm. Your father is nominated and will receive the reward so it is imperative you be there. I've had a dress shipped to the hotel already. You will leave Vegas after the awards and the following morning, promptly at nine, is the weapons tour flight." Pepper read out, glancing over to Holland who seemed anywhere but in the conversation. "Is there any changes you'd like to make?" Pepper questioned.

Holland turned her head to face Pepper, giving her a fake smile. "No, the schedule is just fine. Thank you, Pepper." Holland stated between her teeth, trying to hold back from saying something she would regret later.

"I can try and talk to Tony about maybe not including you in this tour?" Pepper suggested, sensing the young girl just needed to be a child instead of acting like the next heir of Stark Industries for a day.

"No, please don't. It's important to my dad I come along. I'd like to attend." Holland quickly corrected, knowing she couldn't do anything to disappoint her dad anymore. Cancelling her spot on the weapons tours would surely send him into a spiral, making him hate her for the whole summer.