Chapter Three: Back to Normal

Three days had passed and everything was seemingly back to normal. At least on the outside looking in.

For Holland, she felt she had to put on a show. Her father had came back to the states better than ever and yet Holland felt scarred.

"Good morning, Holland. The sky is partially cloudy with conditions to be clear by afternoon." J.A.R.V.I.S. announced, causing Holland to startle out of her sleep. She opened her eyes to find she had once again fallen asleep on the floor.

To most they would find it uncomfortable but for Holland, it was just like the cave floor she slept on for the past three months. It wasn't comforting but it was familiar.

"Morning!" Pepper greeted as she slid a fresh cup of coffee to her at the island.

"Holland, nice of you to join us for once in the kitchen" her dad snarked while giving his typical grin.

"I miss breakfast yesterday and now you want to make a big deal out of it?" Holland asked, snaking her hands around the mug.

"Family is important. Haven't you learned that?" Tony snickered once more.

"Dad, I was actually wanting to talk to you about-" Holland began, wanting to talk to him about possibly pushing off school for at least a semester

"Dad, I was actually wanting to talk to you about-" Holland began, wanting to talk to him about possibly pushing off school for at least a semester. She felt far from ready.

She didn't have the drive or the ambition to learn and she felt like forcing herself to attend college at this time would result in her hating herself down the line. She wanted time to process.

"-oh Cal Tech. Classes start today. How exciting! You think you'll be done in two years? Wouldn't want to let your old man down would you?" he joked, sipping the coffee from the cup Pepper had given him.

"About that-" Holland began, causing Tony and Pepper to quickly dart their eyes at her.

"What?" Tony asked. A concerned look was plastered on Pepper's face while Tony was more curious, expecting some sort of grand news. "Let me guess, you want to transfer to MIT? Oh even more exciting. I'll call up the admissions. I'm sure they will take you this sem-"

"No! No! I was just gonna talk about maybe taking more classes this semester. Quantum physics possible?" Holland asked, trying to cover up whatever she was going to previously say. It was the first thing to pop in her head.

"More classes? Are you sure you're okay?" Pepper asked, rushing over to Holland and feeling her forehead. "You're smart, but I've never known you to take on more things."

"She's fine, Pepper. She's a Stark. And quantum physics is useless. Time travel will never be a thing. Would have invented it myself already." Tony flattered himself, sipping on his cup of coffee. "Pepper, what did you do to this coffee. It's amazing." he flirted, sipping some more.

"Stop it. It's just coffee." she muttered back, trying to hide her blush.

"Great. Just wanted your opinion." Holland mumbled.