11. That

Several weeks had elapsed since the incident, and you had been grappling with the veracity of the revelation. It weighed heavily on your heart and mind, consuming your every thought. You knew you could no longer keep it to yourself; you had to unburden your conscience and tell Kakashi the truth about Obito.

The sun was gradually setting on the Hidden Leaf Village, casting a warm orange glow across the rooftops. Kakashi ambled down the street, his mind preoccupied with the forthcoming changes to the village. With Tsunade still, in a coma, the villagers needed to find a new Hokage. Kakashi was one of the prime candidates, and the weight of the decision bore down on his conscience.

As he turned the corner, he caught sight of you standing in the distance. You were leaning against a fence, gazing out into the beautiful field that stretched out before you. Kakashi approached you at a deliberate pace, noticing the gravity in your expression.

"Y/N, what's going on?" he inquired, his voice tinged with concern.

"I need to discuss something significant with you. Will you walk with me?" you asked, unsure how to broach the topic.

"It's about Obito," you stated, watching as his eyes widened with surprise. You hadn't talked about Obito in years.

"Obito... he's not dead," you said, scrutinizing as his expression changed from curiosity to incredulity.

"What do you mean? We saw him die with our own eyes," he retorted, his tone laced with confusion.

"I know it's hard to believe, but he's the man in the orange mask. I found out when I infiltrated the Akatsuki as a spy," you elucidated, observing as the realization gradually dawned on his face.

He took a few moments to assimilate what you had just told him, his eyes flickering back and forth as he tried to make sense of it all. Slowly, he removed his mask, revealing his flabbergasted expression.

"I can't believe it. I thought he was dead all these years," he murmured, his voice barely above a whisper.

You nodded sympathetically, understanding the weight of this news on his shoulders.

"I know it's a lot to take in, but I had to tell you. You deserve to know the truth."

He took a deep breath, running a hand through his hair as he processed the information.

"Thank you for telling me. I don't know what to say."

You offered him a small smile, reaching out to squeeze his hand in comfort. "You don't have to say anything. I'm here for you."

Tears welled up in his eyes, recalling all the moments before Obito's death.

As you sensed his pain and confusion, you hugged your friend gently, allowing him to mourn and process everything in his own time.

After a few moments of silence, he looked up at you with a newfound determination in his eyes.

"If what you're saying is true, then Obito has a lot to answer for. And as the future Hokage, it will be my responsibility to hold him accountable for his actions."

Despite his best efforts, Kakashi was struggling to keep a composed and professional attitude, as he stumbled and stuttered on his words.

You nodded in agreement, understanding the enormity of the responsibility he carried.

"I know. But for now, let's just focus on the fact that you know the truth. It's a significant burden off both of our shoulders."

He nodded, a small melancholic smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "Thank you, Y/N. You've always been a true friend to me."