Duty

Mirrormeander, a city like any other in all but outward appearance. Occupying Lake Lustre's only island, its proud and optimistic spirit radiates beyond the shimmering waters' embrace.

Mirrored glass skyscrapers and mansions adorn the northern suburbs, reflecting evergreens, crowded sidewalks, designer clothes, winding streets and luxury cars; pollution, overpopulation and rampant crime choke grimy structures crumbling throughout the south.

At the heart of this disparity, the Gemini eclipses all. A wonder of the world, its glistening walls are diamonds spiralling into obscurity. Sunbeams bounce off countless angles and rain upon lives thriving far below. At twilight, every citizen looks to the Gemini for guidance toward an upright future.

Mayor Karen Chamberlain labours indefatigably toward a society defined by justice and equality, undeterred by recent disenchantments. At the Gemini's topmost floor, she sits behind her desk, inundated by paperwork, international phone calls and endless meetings with public officials.

Occasionally, Mayor Chamberlain seizes an opportunity to tear herself away from work. Staring through the surrounding windows, she admires the sunbeams bathing nearby rooftops. Once more, she contemplates how far above the tallest skyscrapers she stands and a sense of detachment smothers optimism. The citizens, their daily struggles, are completely invisible to her. She sighs, turns to her desk, bows over her work and shuts out longings for the days she did not carry the fate of this city alone.

Not a trace of the great statues overlooking Mirrormeander's parks, ponds, fountains and public institutions remain. Left palm upon his chest, the other outstretched and bearing the Earth, Eros once stood unclothed for all to take shelter beneath his muscular form. Only a year ago, every citizen looked to these statues for hope rather than the Gemini. Gone are the days when legend carried Mirrormeander's aspirations. Gone perhaps forever.

***

Back facing Mirrormeander University's domed fountain, beside heaped debris once forming the city's previous guardian, the final Eros statue neared completion. The construction team and a student cluster watched in awe as Tristan Travis hauled the gigantic globe toward the statue's outstretched palm. Striding brisk and steady, skin glistening with perspiration, the onlookers noted Tristan's resemblance to Atlas bearing the Earth's weight upon his shoulders, an appropriate comparison had they been privy to Tristan's secret.

Relieved of his burden, Tristan's steely eyes brushed over the crowd while regaining his breath. Vast and verdant lawns, vibrant flowerbeds and winding pathways encircled the statue. Students lounged on the grass, chatting with friends, revising concepts, eating lunch or staring at their phones.

A sunbeam stabbed Tristan's eyes, snapping his attention to the mirrored glass it bounced off. He recalled a girl among a lively clique gathered by the library. Unlike the others, he sensed cold indifference rather than admiration from her. He fancied spotting a shy smile from the dark-haired beauty but could not be sure. She turned away so abruptly and, in a moment, lost herself within a crowd.

"Well, boys, that about wraps this project. All that's left is to sweep the dirt, dispose of debris, a touch of polish and we'll be good to go," said the foreman, grinning broadly at each labourer before resting his eyes on Tristan.

Groans and grumbling followed the announcement. Having taken pictures of the statue, the student cluster began dispersing.

"Come on! Of course I know you all want a break first! Tristan definitely earned it! Have at those eateries for an hour then meet here!" chuckled the foreman.

The construction team required no further prompt and scurried toward the seating area in front of a tubular building. Unlike his colleagues, Tristan started toward the library but halted when his phone rang. In a fluid motion, he flicked the device out of his pocket, clenched his jaw then swiped to answer. Few had access to this number.