Fallen

Dust and flaking paint mottled the ceiling; grease-encrusted dishes cluttered the countertops; cupboards gaped empty; a mild funk staled the air; footprints marred the tiled floor. The stove top and oven sparkled. Inside the dusty refrigerator, cleanliness outlined a milk carton, half-eaten cheese and assorted soda cans. Wrinkling her nose, Hayleigh Harvey concluded the kitchen inspection by confronting the mouldy whiff inhabiting the microwave.

Hayleigh marched into the lounge where Kelvin tapped his mousepad and chewed his forefinger without blinking. Folding her arms, she examined Kelvin's fortress as if for the first time: pizza box pillars towered almost to her height, polystyrene mounds parodied snowy knolls, soda can pyramids splashed vibrant colours upon the white canvas and crumpled wrappings surrounded the couch upon which Kelvin slouched. A cardboard box doubled as his workstation and dining table.

Kelvin noticed Hayleigh's red trainers, designer jeans and yellow cardigan sandwiched between the foremost pillars. Lifting his eyes to the dark curls framing stern eyes and a milk chocolate complexion, he offered a toothy grin.

"When are you and Tristan going to at least pretend basic hygiene matters?" grumbled Hayleigh, gagging at mingled grease and body odours.

"Not Tristan! All my fault! Always telling me to clear up this mess! No time for either of us! Too much crime for him! Too much course material for me! huffed Kelvin, his bloodshot eyes darting from Hayleigh's frown to his phone to his laptop.

"Somehow, I kept my place clean, studied, held down two part-time jobs and fought crime all by myself. Kids these days..." sighed Hayleigh, closing her eyes and shaking her head. The couch's assorted stains always prompted her to reject Kelvin's offer for a seat.

The faded carpet beneath Kelvin's workstation, scant furnishings, naked light bulb dangling overhead and lack of windows never failed to grab Hayleigh's attention either. After two years of fighting crime, Tristan received multiple offers for a penthouse suite in the northern suburbs but chose to remain in this gloomy basement beneath the humblest street. Pride swelled in Hayleigh's heart. She admired Tristan's resolve to earn his place in society, his determination to forego the privileges too many among Mirrormeander's previous guardians readily embraced.

"Seriously, Eros?! Too many rookie mistakes! What?! He actually managed to hit you with that?! Come on, man!" exclaimed Kelvin before cramming the last pizza slice between his greasy lips then tossing the empty box atop the rear pillar.

Satisfied to observe the action from behind the couch, avoiding a teetering pillar, Hayleigh chuckled at the encouraging words Kelvin screamed or bickered. His appearance perfectly contrasted Tristan's. Mousy hair shimmered with grease, bags underlined beady eyes and damp hairs curled along his saggy neck. He wore a stained T-shirt, checked pants and blackened socks. While the boys had little in common, Hayleigh celebrated their friendship.

"Cut the pleas! Cut the lectures! Not helping! The Internet's still doing its thing! Toxic comments! Demands for more destruction and hostages!' puffed Kelvin, instinctively reaching for his phone then hesitating. They agreed Eros could never accept calls during battle, not after the black eye incident.

Hayleigh tore her attention off the laptop to glance at Kelvin's phone, curious about the secondary information source's offerings. She shuddered. "Gawking at your trash while I'm here is rude and creepy!"

Swiping away an album crammed with pedicured feet, Kelvin blushed. Fresh perspiration glistened across his forehead and trickled down his temples while blabbering about research material for an assignment.

"Whatever," interrupted Hayleigh, desperate to change the subject. "William Intel actually showed up about three years ago. Back then, he restricted himself entirely to online encounters. I always knew this fragile man battled profound insecurities and I knew my powers could not save him. Perhaps it's fate he took this step after my tenure ended. Armed with love, perhaps Eros is the hero Intel needs. Do not discard his attempts at dialogue as useless. I believe Eros possesses the power to heal even the most damaged among us."