14 | heart problems

I held her hand, my phone to my ear.

I heard the rings.

The multiple voice messages.

Yet the only one I could reach out to was Anaya Ambrose.

The one I forced myself I would never allow anywhere near my home.

What are the odds?

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧

An hour earlier

I held my steering wheel, turning from street to street on my way home. I was annoyed with myself. What type of person, guy ask a girl if she has a boyfriend. Fuck. She's going to think I want her or something. I was gripping the steering wheel harder then ever. My hands slowly turned white. Loosing their human look. The neighbourhood was blasting. I felt like throwing myself across the car. I could've sworn if I removed my hand in this moment I would go flying.

I turned into the driveway. Bushes lined the sides, small lights shined from inside them. I parked my car. Before stepping out I took a deep breath. I walked at a normal pace, shoving my hands into my pockets. When I entered the house was shut down. Almost all lights were off other then one from the living room. "Mom?" I spoke. Waiting for an answer.
"Charlie. My little boy." The arms I loved the most draped over my shoulders. "Thank you for coming home." After removing my shoes I got up and turned to take her in for a hug.
"What did you need me for?" I asked. She didn't answer right away.
"Just tired." She cupped my face. "Plus, I needed help with your siblings. They were arguing I'm sure." I roll my eyes.
"I've got it covered ma, you get some rest, okay?" She nodded as I tore her soft hands from my cheeks.
"Good night." She said kissing my cheek. She walked toward the hallway.
I made my way upstairs. You could already hear the fight coming from Sebastian's room. I find myself rolling my eyes again.
I open the door, both of them stoped and look directly at me.
"What's going on?" They both look at each other. Almost at the exact same time they pointed at each other."I asked what happened not who started." You can see a little guilt in Lauren's eyes. "Fine, but please stop. Mom doesn't appreciate it and it's annoying as hell." They stared at each other. Then Lauren made her way out of his room.
"Time for bed, okay?" I told him. He nodded his head and got into bed. I read to him as he fell asleep next to me. He looked peaceful. For a little I watched him. Then I walked out. Carefully wrapping the Blanket around him. I closed the door with my hand on it so it wouldn't echo as loudly. I walk to my room, gripping the door handle, looking forward to the peace.
"CHARLIE!" You can hear Lauren's voice squeak loudly. It echoed through the medium sized house. And a nervous, scared feeling coursed my bones. I let go of my handle and run down the stairs, cursing my whole way down. I look around, then make my way to my mothers bedroom.
"What?" I look over to her closet where Lauren's gasping for breaths as she sobs over my mothers body.
"Oh shit." I bend down. I placed my ear to my mothers chest, her heart was beating so quickly.
"How long have you been here Lauren?" She's covering her mouth. She's petrified.
"How long Lauren?!" I asked a little louder.
"Not," she cries more. "Long." I swallow my saliva.
"Call 911." She hesitates. "Lauren! Call 911!" I shout.

Stay strong mom.

I gripped my mothers hand, squeezing it before performing cpr on fragile body. Lauren walked in the room with the phone to her ear.
"Thank you." She was hardly crying but I knew she was scared and wanted to. She dropped the phone from her ear.
"An ambulance is coming." That's all I heard before everything started blending up.

Some medics walked in and took my mom away. I joined her in the ambulance holding her hand. A phone to my ear. I tried calling everyone I knew. But obviously nobody answers their phone this late at night. I hesitated over my last possible number. I tapped the phone under her name. It rang a couple times. "Hello?" Her voice echoed through my phone.
"Uh. Hey it's Charlie. Is it possible you can go to my place? I'm currently headed to the hospital with my mom, but my siblings are alone and I'm worried. Please help me." I spoke. I'm not much of a beggar but today I guess I was.
"Uh. Yeah. What's your address?" I pulled my phone away from my ear and sent her my house location.
"I sent it. Thank you again." I say holding back a cry. A cry that's so unknown I'm not sure what to do.
I grip my mothers hand, almost as if I let go I'll lose her entirely.
I couldn't hear anything anymore everything was blocked. I focused on my mother. Waiting for her to move.
"Charlie. Your mother needs to stay under watch. She's going to stay at the hospital for a while. She's currently in a coma." I cry harder. So many tears. I've never felt like such a girl before. I stare at my mother and i remember how she looked so tired before leaving me in the entrance. I instantly regret not following her I could've helped her before it reached a bad state. I let go of my moms hand and lean back against the wall. My face had never felt so moist. I felt tired, but the last thing on my mind is sleep. It's all mom now. I never stopped looking at her. Her not so lifeless body just laying there breathing.

When we arrived at the hospital, I slept next to my mom, Probably one of my best sleeps in a while now. When I woke up I had almost forgotten where I was. I'm still laying next to my mother when my phone rings. I swipe the phone across the screen.
"Hey. Lauren told me what happened. Are you guys okay?" She asked. I was kind of relieved that Lauren told her.
"I'm okay, my moms in a coma though. You guys?" I could hear her sigh across the phone.
"We're pretty good, I was just about to drive lauren and Sebastian to school. Are you coming to school?" I take a breath, almost like I was holding one.
"I was planning on staying but maybe I'll come. I've been here a while anyways." She doesn't answer but I can hear Sebastian talking to her.
"Charlie?" You can hear shuffling.
"Hey." You can hear rustling around.
"How's mom?" He asked.
"She's okay. Still asleep." He sighs at that.

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧

I walk down to the cafeteria, gripping two frozen lemonades. I'm trying to locate Anaya. I don't know why I'm looking for her, but I owe her. I see a blonde sitting with Melissa at a table. I walk over. When I get there, Melissa points over her shoulder, to me. When she did turn she was wearing a white long sleeve crop top and beige cargo pants. I hand her the drink.
"For last night. Thank you by the way." She smiled when I gave it to her.
"You're welcome and thank you for the drink." I feel a small smile grin pop up but I push it down.
"No problem." That's when I walk back towards my table. I see Brooks and Will but no Riley. I frown. Before I sit down I ask. "Where's Riley?" Will looks up.
"Sick." He says.
"Gotcha."

I'm tired.

Scared

But most of all I think I might..

No.

I can't.

Longer chapter for y'all

Hope you enjoy it!!

-aria

🫶