Chapter Fifteen: King Constantine II

16th of January 2023 - Athens, Greece

The death of King Constantine II had been expected, in the last few years of his life, Constantine had been experiencing "chronic heart" problems.

In September 2022, due to ill health, he was unable to travel to the United Kingdom to attend the state funeral of Queen Elizabeth II, his third cousin, and the widow of his first cousin once removed, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

His last public appearance occurred in Athens in October 2022 when he went to a restaurant for lunch with his wife, Queen Anne-Marie, and his two sisters, Queen Sofía of Spain and Princess Irene.

Although he remained undisturbed during his meal, Spanish tourists later noticed Queen Sofía and a Greek civilian recognised the former king, who was being pushed in a wheelchair with nasal catheters that provided him with supplementary oxygen, prompting concerns for his health.

His heart and mobility issues had "worsened" in the twelve months prior to his death and resulted in multiple hospitalisations in 2022.

He also suffered through a severe case of COVID-19.

On 9 January 2023, it was revealed that Constantine had been hospitalised and was in a "serious, but stable" condition with his family was said to be at his side, and his two sons, Crown Prince Pavlos and Prince Nikolaos, were meeting in the Maximos Mansion to discuss the events that would occur following his death.

Constantine's daughter-in-law, Princess Tatiana, was seen lighting a candle at church in prayer for his health. He had been placed in the intensive care unit of the private Hygeia Hospital following a stroke, but died on 10 January 2023.

Constantine died one day short of the centenary anniversary of the death of his grandfather, Constantine I.

The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence were attending representing Charles for the funeral while Adeline and Simon were attending representing William since her brother had been unable to attend.

The news that William was unable to attend the funeral of his godfather had been meet with unhappiness, many bemoaning the fact that he would not be attending due to a personal matter.

Although the matter would be kept quiet, Adeline and Simon had been informed of Catherine's ill health and they had sent their best wishes on before agreeing to make the last minute trip to Greece.

Adeline climbed out of the car, joining her husband and moving to enter Metropolitan Cathedral of Athens along with the other foreign dignitaries that were attending the funeral of the former King of Greece.

The two of them were silent, nodding to those who they recognised in the cathedral as they were lead to their seats; it was surreal to be at another royal funeral so soon after the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

It was rare that the British royals attended such events, they tended to keep to themselves which had been that way due to the unstable monarchies that had been in place when the late Queen had come to the throne.

Τhe procession was headed by a crucifer, followed by two priests, including Archbishop Ieronymos II, then the coffin, which was draped in the current flag of Greece, and finally Constantine's three sons, with crowds watching from the side.

Members of the public were chanting "Immortal" and "Constantine, you will never die" and held flowers, flags of the Kingdom of Greece and pictures of Constantine and Anne-Marie.

Some people were chanting, "Long live the king!" It was a sight that despite the fact that the monarchy had been cast aside nearly fifty years earlier, that there was still a lot of love for the royal family.