Chapter Eighteen: Coronation of Charles III and Camilla

6th of May 2023 - York House

The days leading up to the coronation had been filled with meetings, gatherings and appearances as the royals prepared for the biggest event that Britain had seen in seventy years. 

From diplomatic luncheons and dinners, to speaking with the crowds that had been gathered around London hoping to spot the royal family. 

The weather had remained on their side despite the clouds that had appeared that morning, it had not deterred many from descending on the capital for this moment in history. 

The television played quietly in the living room, showcasing the coverage that had begun early that morning as there was so much to cover before the coronation even begun. 

The hair stylist had arrived not too long ago along with the makeup artist to start preparing Adeline for the day, nothing was being left to the last minute and there was so much to be done before they even left the house. 

Her outfit had been carefully selected and Adeline couldn't help but feel a little nervous about how today was going to go, she prayed that the dark clouds that had been coming in would hold off until the celebrations were done. 

Her dress had been designed by Safiyaa, she would be wearing one of her mother's bracelets and a set of earrings that had been a gift from Anne for her birthday. 

Adeline would be wearing a specially designed floral headpiece, more delicate in looks than the one that had been designed for Catherine and Adeline had been thankful for that. 

As much as she adored the look of Catherine's, it looked heavy and pointy, she had opted for something a bit more elegant for her own that complimented the hairstyle that she had chosen for the day. 

The light headpiece sat upon her head as a tiara would, sitting upon the braiding of her hair; complimenting the floral display that featured upon her dress that would be slightly covered by her sash. 

Catherine would be wearing a headpiece that complimented the dress that she was wearing, the eye catching piece would no doubt spark conversation. 

Catherine would also be wearing Diana's pearl and diamond earrings along with the George VI Festoon Necklace, a piece made in 1950 at the request of King George VI for his daughter Princess Elizabeth. 

Both of them honouring the past in their own way while celebrating the future, a clear representation of the roles that they served and the monarch itself.

Charlotte, Daphne and Helena would all be wearing specially designed dresses and capes to match their mothers with ivory satin stitch embroidery featuring rose, thistle, daffodil and shamrock motifs, along with matching headpieces. 

While George as page-of-honour wore a scarlet tunic decorated with gold lace trim and blue velvet cuffs with an open-fronted design and lined in silk. 

The tunics are worn with ivory silk satin waistcoats trimmed in gold braid with wool trousers and boots. 

The uniforms were originally made by Ede and Ravenscroft during the reign of Queen Elizabeth and have been re-tailored for the coronation. 

Then there was Louis, Sebastian and Albert would be wearing blue doeskin tunics with specially designed lacework embellishing the collar, cuffs and fronts. 

Simon would be wearing his uniform as Colonel of the Scots Guards, along with the rope that matched Adeline's for the coronation, which would also be worn by the Princess of Wales at the coronation. 

It was perhaps a great blessing that the weather wasn't as warm as they had been expecting, no doubt that the heat in the abbey would have caused issues for all those who were dressed in their finest.