Chapter Three: The United Front

10th of September 2022 - Windsor Castle

Adeline wasn't sure what she had been expecting when her brother had called her that afternoon, his voice grim as he broke the news to her that Harry and Meghan were planning their own meet the crowd walk. 

That not only where they planning to film the walkabout for Netflix but from what William had heard from a tip from the press that someone had called the press to tip them off that the Sussexes would be doing so. 

The last thing that the family needed right now was for Harry and Meghan to use the death of the Queen to promote themselves; there was only one thing that William of doing to squash their plans. 

One thing that William knew that Adeline wasn't going to like one bit but for their grandmother, they both agreed that it was for the best and a show of unity would be welcomed by the public. 

That was how Adeline and Simon found themselves pulling up behind the car where William had parked, the two of them having come from York House to join the walkabout that William had planned. 

Climbing out of the car, Adeline took a deep breath knowing that best behaviour was expected; she would play nice with the world watching their every step. 

Catherine smiled at them as she spotted Adeline and Simon, climbing from the front seat of the car as the other occupants climbed out; the drive from their home to the gates had been tense, not a word spoken between the four. 

Harry and Meghan quickly holding hands as they waited for Adeline and Simon to join them, Harry unable to look at his former friend while Meghan's lips were pursed as she stared at him. 

The six of them made their way towards the gate, Harry fixing his suit as they walked; he looked scruffy compared to William and Simon, like he had dressed in a rush despite his walk with Meghan being planned first. 

William and Catherine took the lead as they exited the gates of the castle, Harry doing his best to slow Meghan down as she tried to keep up with the Prince and Princess of Wales as they approached the flowers. 

It was only when they reached the flowers that Harry let go of Meghan's hand, he stepped behind her as she walked in front of him while he looked at the tributes that people had left to his grandmother. 

Meghan pointed out one of the tributes to her husband, wrapping an arm around him as he ducked down to read what had been written; her thumb rubbing his back as if to comfort him during this time.

The other two couples chatted between themselves, talking about the tributes that had been left at the gates of the Queen's last place of residence; it was here that she spent her final years, the last she would spend with her beloved husband before his death. 

Catherine sticking with the Clarences as much as she could, William acting as a buffering between the two groups as they admired the tributes. 

The united front that the world wished to see between the three siblings and their spouses during this tragic time as they mourned the loss of the Queen; it had been a shocking loss for them all. 

Harry peeked at his sister, feeling a little loss at her lack of acknowledgement since their grandmother has passed; it had been William that had reached out to organise the walkabout. 

Harry had been surprised when his siblings hadn't been there to greet him or comfort him after the passing of their grandmother, it had hurt that they had disappeared off to Birkhall with their father while he had been left behind with the rest of the family. 

During the under twenty hours that he had been at Balmoral, he had felt like an outsider within his own family with most of the family except for Eugenie and Jack keeping their distance from him and their conversations had been lacking to say the least.