Chapter Nineteen: Coronation Concert

7th of May 2023 - Windsor Castle

Climbing the steps up to the royal box that had been set up on the grounds of Windsor Castle, Adeline held onto Daphne's hand as they moved carefully; the grounds filled with people that had all gathered together for the coronation concert. 

Excitement in the air as the coronation weekend came to a close, everyone was in fine spirits and there was no denying that for the most part the celebrations for Charles and Camilla's coronation had been a success. 

It had been a full weekend with the Clarences travelling to their estate in Surrey to host some events for the local community to celebrate the coronation. 

The children had certainly enjoyed themselves with the events that had been hosted, with Sebastian, Helena and Albert not attending tonight's final festivities due to their age. 

Daphne held on tightly to her mother's hand until they reached the top of the steps that lead to their seats, she looked out across the crowds towards the stage as she peeked over the edge of the royal box. 

Simon followed behind his wife and daughter, dressed in a suit with a tie to match the blue of Adeline's dress; it had been a long day, a long weekend even and he knew that it was just the start. 

Moving towards their seats, the Clarences greeted the people in the row behind them; smiles shared and well wishes before they were seated, Daphne glancing to the empty seats beside her mother where her aunt, uncle and cousins would be seated when they arrived. 

Adeline and Simon sat on either side of their daughter, the two of them engaging in conversation with those around them as they waited for the rest of the family to arrive from around Windsor. 

They didn't have to wait long, William and Catherine arriving with George and Charlotte not long after the Clarences had arrived; warm greetings exchanged between the two families as William and Catherine took their seats. 

Charlotte was eager to be seated next to her cousin, the two girls talking excitedly and there was no doubt that the evening was one that they would all remember well. 

The trumpets sounded and everyone got to their feet as the King and Queen entered the royal box; the crowds cheering as they made their way to their seats, stopping to greet the family along the way. 

Camilla waved to her own family seated just below in the box beneath the royal box, her children and grandchildren close by and this marked the small change that had taken place since Charles had become King.

The concert featured performances from artists including a British Army orchestra, Katy Perry, Lionel Richie, Andrea Bocelli, Sir Bryn Terfel, Alexis Ffrench, Zak Abel, Take That featuring Robin Schulz and Calum Scott, Paloma Faith, Tiwa Savage, Steve Winwood, Lang Lang, Nicole Scherzinger, Olly Murs, Pete Tong, and Sonam Kapoor. 

Tom Cruise, Dame Joan Collins, Winnie-the-Pooh, Piglet, Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Sir Tom Jones, Hugh Jackman, Alan Titchmarsh, Richard E. Grant, Pierce Brosnan, Bear Grylls, Dynamo, Tracey Emin, Giovanna Fletcher, and Oti Mabuse appeared in a series of pre-recorded sketches and segments. 

In addition to performances by singers, musicians, and stage and screen actors, the show also featured the 300-voice "Coronation Choir", mentored by Gareth Malone, composed of community choirs and amateur singers such as refugee choirs, NHS choirs, LGBTQ+ singing groups, and deaf signing choirs. 

The Royal Ballet, The Royal Opera, the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Royal College of Music and the Royal College of Art also performed together with actors Ncuti Gatwa and Mei Mac and ballet dancers Francesca Hayward and Marcelino Sambé.