Chapter 1: new beginnings

(The majority of art I will be using comes from the artist: USA37107692 on Twitter feel free to check them out.)

Y/n POV

"It's a new day today." Y/n spoke to himself.

Rising from his bed to see When the Morning Light Shines In.

He looks out from the window of his new room. He and his family recently moved into the town. At first they lived in a secluded home near society but after eggman's repeated attempts of world domination, Vanilla thought it best to live near the heroes for safety and peace of mind.

"It's still hard to believe that it's 18 years since that day." He looks to his pillow stained with tears.

"I guess the nightmare was intense last night. Oh well." Life in a new place is going to be hard on him. He his bond the old home is still there. The same home where he came from.

But in this moment he doesn't think about himself. If it is for the best with his family then he'll get used to it. But being around people? He almost never had any sort of contact with society. Looking out the window to the see the morning light with a warm glow. At least that's one thing that never leaves.

"Well I better get breakfast ready." Y/n says moving out of the bed. With weighted steps he slow moves and stretches his body waking it up slowly. Dawning a simple button up plaid shirt, blue jeans, black socks, and finally a necklace with a fang tooth. Basic clothing for today as he will be preparing to help his mother with shopping today.

The air was calm and filled a sweet aroma. Through the short halls of the little home he heard a tune being hummed from the kitchen. As he made it to the table he saw his mother Vanilla making breakfast. She was always the first one awake and always the first to make breakfast for the three.

"Morning y/n." She says with a motherly tone. For so long she helped y/n when she found him. Ever since that day y/n was happy but the trauma he has prevents him from being at peace. But Vanilla and Cream ease that pain if only a little.

"Morning mom. Cream and Cheese should be awake any moment now." Y/n says easing into his seat with his stomach growling at the smell of pancakes in the morning.

Almost on point Cream comes into the kitchen hugging y/n while holding Cheese her chao. She takes her seat beside y/n as the pancakes are served. Topped with honey they give sweet satisfaction to the stomach.

"Thank you y/n for helping me with grocery shopping. Oh and don't forget Cream, your lunch for school is on the counter." Vanilla says directing her daughter to said lunchbox.

"Okay mom." Cream replies. Being a middle schooler she prepares to leave while y/n gets ready to assist Vanilla. Everyone said there goodbyes and went on with the day.

"Ready y/n?"

"I'm ready mom."

Elsewhere

The market itself was all outside. There were many stalls selling all manner of items and goods. The side walls were bustling with customers and shop owners. Y/n and Vanilla started off in the plant section for fruits and vegetables.

While y/n hated being in public being beside Vanilla made him calm down and at ease. Avoiding eye contact and conversing he mainly helped her carrying the goods. But that doesn't mean y/n can't talk, in fact he can talk to individuals if he wanted but he spoke differently.

"Ah hello young man are interested in any of our products today?" A stall owner said to the passing two.

"non, merci" y/n speak in a different language to people he is not familiar with. Y/n and Vanilla continue walking by and shopping. Soon they arrive within the meats section where freshly cut meat is being sold.

Then Vanilla brings up an interesting topic.

"So y/n, Sonic and the others are returning tomorrow. It seems that eggman's recent plan has finally been foiled and and now they can finally come back." Vanilla says.

"Well we haven't seen them since moving here. But why are you telling me this? You know I am not a social person." Y/n replies curious as to what Vanilla is planning.

"Exactly every time Sonic and his friends come to visit you hide away in your hideout without a change to meet them. That's why I'm having you meet the minute they arrive!" Y/n is visibly distraught at this news.

"Don't give me that look y/n. Look I know why you refuse to make friends but this habit is not good for you. Besides! Sonic and the others are very capable of taking care of themselves. Making new friends is essential in your path to recovery." Vanilla says purchasing more goods as she Carries half the load while y/n Carrie's the other half.

"Mom I know you want the best for me but I'm fine really. I don't want friends that I'll disappoint." Y/n replies.

"Y/n listen to me. Tomorrow you will meet with Sonic and the others. Besides you might meet your special someone and make me a grandmother!" Vanilla says with excitement.

"MOM!" Y/n yells in embarrassment. Many of the people around them start to wish y/n good luck when he becomes a father. While another gives y/n a bottle of vodka and tells him to save when the time comes.

Vanilla giggled to herself at the many antics she can do. But in reality she knew y/n needed it. To make friends with those around him. Since they lived in such a remote area in the past she couldn't send her kids to school so she taught them herself. Well y/n maybe but when they moved into town that's when she sent Cream to an actual school. Y/n never went because the few times she tried to send him to school he never talked to anybody. He responded with head movements and simple noises.

His shut in nature eventually started to get him picked on in high school so he simply left. He never went back.

Timeskip

Some time has past after the market run. Y/n helped out putting the groceries away. Once it was all done he told her that he would be at his hideout. Vanilla responded and y/n left. Traveling through the nearby woods he went on to his hideout. During his teenage years he began to develop an adventurous liking to outdoors. So he would wander outside for hours at a time to be alone with his thoughts.

Crossing over a river by a log and walking through a hidden path he comes across a waterfall where behind it was his hideout. A retreat where he could be alone. Made from scraps and junk from around town he made a bed, desk, and couch. Topped off with Christmas lights he rested his feet and relaxed.

"Y/n I want you to meet Sonic and the others tomorrow. You need friends in your life! Not to be alone."

"Mom. You really wouldn't understand. Friends won't help. It's better if I bear this pain alone."

Tomorrow will certainly be interesting that is certain.