Chapter 4: weight of our sins

No one's POV

Footsteps filled the silence of the open hills. Flashings images of his dying mother filled his head. Words of 'failure' and 'mistake' screamed inside his cracking mind. They never ceased, a torrent rending y/n asunder.

Y/n didn't stop he continued placing one foot in front of the other without momentum slowing. Until a tree root tripped him. Holding his head to try and remedy the phantom agony to no avail. The blue skies witnessed him in a low state, the grass never did anything to offer comfort, and the water beside him rippled away.

The dark thoughts grew ever closer until he began to hear words that sounded familiar but he could not interpret their origin.

'(Mumbled) -st fai——d —-in——-n'

Clouded words with familiar tones but they only grew in intensity. One word was ringing loud and clear.

"Failure."

His heart cried for peace, his mind cried for silence, his soul cried for health. But all were denied in this very moment. Until a soft melody was heard. It had a familiar tone. Y/n's ears picked up on this soft melody as he slowly grew calm and the dark thought all faded away.

Though the question of who was singing this melody was unknown, or rather untellable. For y/n opened his eyes as he a figure in front of him. Ethereal in nature his eyes widened at what he saw.

"Mom?" His long deceased mother standing before him singing the calming melody. Once his mind was clear she Pointed in a direction as she slowly faded from existence. Confused of it all he decided to investigate.

Shifting his body over the area the ghost pointed in. Within the nearby bush was a find much like the absurdity of the ghost of his mother. It was a chaos emerald. Letting his curiosity take over he reached for the emerald.

Hoping to find answers to his questions he was denied as when contact was made the emerald shocked y/n. Reeling back from the pain as the energy from the emerald caused great physical pain. Only more questions arose.

Why did it shock him and why did it harm him?

"I know that humans are unable to interact with the emeralds but to be harmed by one is unheard of."

He stood their trying to process this information. He try to touch it again but was shocked. This is only confirmed that he wasn't lying to himself. A chaos emerald actively causing harm. But why?

"I need to-"

Just then he heard an explosion nearby. A plum of smoke rises to the sky. His eyes widen when he realized. That was where sonic and the others are.

He looks back at the emerald and back at the smoke. In a moment of hesitation against his better judgement he grabbed the emerald despite it trying to shock him. He steeled his nerves as he ran to the others. If his family was in danger he needed to hurry!

With the dangerous Emerald in hand he ran as fast as he could. Through the green hills he ran back. He need to find his family and quick. Through the winding loops and tunnels he ran, then he began to see broken robots. These were different, they didn't have eggman's symbol.

But he didn't care. Eventually he see the group all protecting Vanilla, Cream, and Cheese. They face a robot unlike any other.

It's body was red in color. Bright yellow wings dawn it's back, it held a pistol and it's right arm was red with the knuckles smoking, and most of all it had a bright yellow eye.

He saw the eye and he heard the sound of the gun. They both match the same bot that killed his mother. The Emerald continues to shock him but he didn't care. He tried to harness the emerald to use it against the bot.

"Chaos spear!"

He shouts as he launches a bolt of energy.

Y/n looked on the chest plate of the bot the name.

V2

I'm a instant the bot backs away from the group. it's attention was on me. Red energy from the emerald flowed through me casing extreme pain but I didn't care.

"Hey rust bucket! Your fights with me!"

I say defiantly. It turned as it readied its pistol. The arm loaded shells the menacing glow of its eye looked with mine. This was the same machine that killed my mother. I won't lose anymore family.

I channeled the power of the emerald as I charged at V2.

Dodging bullets and it's shotgun arm I clashed with it. I was going in blind but I didn't care.

My mother and sister are in danger and I refuse to let them die!

Narrator pov

Sonic and the others were too wounded to help y/n fight but they were shocked to see use a chaos emerald to fight. Normally chaos emerald won't even react to human touch except for beings like sonic.

But seeing as how sonic was fighting back they can't help but feel impressed. Not even Vanilla and Cream have seen him fight like this before.

Y/n fought with aggressive calculation. Charging forward on the aggressive then backing away to fight from a distance. V2 fought with the same fighting style.

Both fight in with such agile ferocity. From uppercuts and shockwaves they battle. V2 landed a critical blow in y/n side but not hitting any vital organs. Y/n hit multiple systems within V2's armor and chassis.

The battle seemed to last forever until y/n landed a major blow tearing off V2's right arm causing it to flee. He stood there in victory.

"No one hurts my family."

He said with a determined glare as he watched V2 run off. Then he dropped the emerald as the pain became too much and passed out. He may have saved the day but the battle has only just begun.