XII - Halloween

Lucy yawned, stretching her arms above her head and popping up. It was only six in the morning so she didn't have to leave for school for another hour, but more importantly, it was Halloween. The very best holiday, in Lucy's opinion. The brunette brushed her hair. She decided to leave it down, letting it brush against her shoulders. She ran down the stairs when she heard a knock on her front door, pulling it open to see the Chief on her doorstep. He was wearing a flannel and jeans, with a slight look of annoyance, and a grocery bag in his hand. She smiled up at the sighing Chief, "Hi, Mr. Hopper!" 

He looked down at the girl, taking notice of the dark spots against her cheekbone and collarbone. "Hey, kid. Here. . ." He held the bag out for her which she quickly took, rushing inside to her dinning table, leaving the front door wide for Hopper to follow her inside. She threw the bag onto the table, pulling out a vampire costume. It had fangs, fake blood and all. She turned around, beaming at Hopper.

"Thank you, Mr. Hopper." She gave him a hug, holding onto him as tight as she could. He patted her on the back, hugging the girl back in his own way. 

"No problem, kid. Did you need a ride to school?" He asked, looking down at the bruised up girl as she pulled from the embrace. 

"No, I've got my bike now! But thank you." She smiled, shaking her head at the man. 

"Alright kid, I've gotta get back to. . ." He paused, thinking up a quick lie, "Work." He nodded, deciding that idea would be convincing enough to the thirteen year old.

"Okay, Mr. Hopper, Happy Halloween." She smiled, walking with him to the door. She could tell that he wasn't going to 'work' but it also wasn't any of her business where exactly he was going. So she wouldn't pry. "Uhm. . .One second." She held up a finger to the police chief, running up the stairs and to her room. She came back downstairs with a bag full of trick-or-treat candy that Steve had given her, telling her that he couldn't take her out trick-or-treating so this was his replacement. She was going out with the party anyways so she didn't need it. "Here! To say thank you."

"Oh- Kid, it's fine."

She frowned, slowly nodding. "Oh, okay." She felt bad that there was no way she could pay him back. 

He saw the look on her face and sighed, "Yeah, okay. I'll take it." She beamed, handing him the bag of assorted sweets. He smiled at the young girl, "Happy Halloween, kid."

She waved, "Happy Halloween!" Once the chief was in his car and driving off, Lucy shut the front door, locked it, and ran upstairs to her room so she could change. She pulled on a yellow sweater and some acid washed jeans that she rolled up at the cuffs. The rest of the party insisted that she wore her costume but she didn't want to wear it to school. She was worried she might trip or something and end up ripping it. 

————————————————————————————————

Lucy was sitting at the school bike rack, waiting for her friends. Since she lived so far from them she usually rode by herself rather than going all the way to meet them by their houses. She saw Lucas, Mike and Dustin all rid up in the Ghostbusters costumes, singing along to the theme song. They pulled their bikes into the rack and sung out "Who you gonna call?" Making Lucy laugh.

Will came up from behind them, having come from Jonathan's car over by the High School. "Ghostbusters!" He called back.

"Hey, Spengler!" Mike cheered out. 

"Hey!" Dustin smiled said.

"Egon! Yeah!" Lucas yelled.

"Venkman!" Will pointed at the name patch on Lucas's costume as they hugged.