XXXIII - Wires and Fans

"So, when we set fire to the hub, we drew the Demodogs away so El could close the gate." Dustin explained to Erica as they went through the air ducts. "But now, for some insane reason, the Russians appear to be trying to reopen it, which just destroys everything we risked our lives for."

"By 'we', you're including Lucas?" Erica asked in disbelief. 

Lucy had her back turned to the two of them, facing the way they'd come. Her nails were anxiously attempting at her arm, though it wasn't much use with the tight bandage Russell had done on it earlier. She was scared that Steve, Russel and Robin weren't okay. Why did they have to leave them? What was the point of that? They could've all gotten safe, or gotten caught, or whatever, she just wanted them all to be together. What if they were hurt? Or being held captive? Or, God forbid. . .dead?

"Yes, of course." Dustin huffed.

"So all that shit you told me, Lucas was there?" 

"Yeah." 

"My brother, Lucas Charles Sinclair?" 

"Yes!" Dustin yelled, annoyed with the repeated question. 

"I don't believe you." 

"Wait, so you believe everything about El and the gate and the Demodogs and the Mind Flayer, but you question your brother's involvement?" 

Erica nodded. "That's correct." 

"Makes total sense." Dustin scoffed the sarcastic remark, bringing his screwdriver up to the panel again. 

"Uh, you need help with that?" Erica tilt her head slightly, causing their light from the flashlights on her hat to turn as well.

"No." 

"Well, I mean, it's taking a while, so-" 

"Yeah, no shit, Sherlock." Dustin's voice cracked.

"Alright, so if we don't find a more efficient method to stop these fans-"

Lucy groaned. "Shhh!" She hissed out, too wrapped up in her own worries to listen to the two bicker. She took the screwdriver from her boyfriend and started unscrewing all four screws on the panel. 

"We're never gonna find help, and your ice cream buddies are screwed." Erica finished her thought. 

Lucy tensed at those words, shaking them off. 

"I'm just being realistic. I mean, we've made it about point-three miles in nine hours. Then we had to walk three hours down that tunnel, so I'd estimate ten miles back to the elevator, which should take us approximately twelve-and-a-half days."

"Did you just do all of that in your head?" Dustin gaped.

"I'm good with numbers."

"Holy shit, you're a nerd." Dustin huffed a light laugh.

"Come again?" 

"You. . .are. . .a. . .nerd." 

"Okay, you better take that back, nerd."

"Can't put the truth back in the box." 

"Just shut up and let me think, please." Lucy grumbled, staring at the wires in front of her. She tilted her head, thinking it over for a second before shoving her hand in the box and pulling on them all. What was the worst that could happen? 

The wires crackled with electricity, sparking as they snapped. The fans slowly whirred to a stop as Dustin was explaining to Erica how My Little Pony was nerdy in a hushed voice. 

"Come on, idiots." Lucy sighed before crawling through the fan opening, Dustin and Erica shortly behind her. 

————————————————————————————————

Word Count - 528

————————————————————————————————

Published - March 16, 2024

————————————————————————————————