XVII - Pistol

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked Dustin.

"Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt."

"Well- He was tiny two days ago." Max snarked.

"Well, he's molted three times already."

"M- Malted?" Steve questioned.

"Molted. Shed his skin to make room for growth. Like snakes." Lucy answered, the first time she had spoken since they left the junkyard. It surprised everyone except Russell, but she was half asleep anyways.

"I- I was gonna say like hornworms. . .But yeah, snakes do it too." Dustin nodded.

"Well, when's he gonna molt again?" Max pushed.

"It's gotta be soon." Dustin shrugged, keeping his light slightly in front of Lucy. He didn't want her to trip in the dark. "When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends."

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats." Steve snarked.

"Whatcha think, Stevie? Think we'll be first on his meal ticket?" Rylie asked, turning so she could walk backward from her spot to Lucy's left. Russell was on her other side.

"Wait, a cat?" Lucas came up in front of Dustin, stopping the curly haired boy from walking anymore. "Dart ate a cat?"

"No, what? No." Dustin lied, shaking his head with a fake pout.

"What are you talking about? He ate Mews." Steve added, the rest of the group stopping so the two boys didn't get left behind.

"Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked, looking around for an answer.

"Dustin's cat. Err. . .former cat." Russell answered, letting loose a yawn.

"Steve! Russell!" Dustin yelled, not wanting that to be known by Lucas.

"I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas shoved Dustin's chest.

"No! . . .No. . .No, I- No, I- He missed me! He wanted to come home."

"Bullshit!"

Lucy ran over, standing between the two boys. "Calm down, Lucas. He didn't mean to hurt anyone."

"Oh! So Lucy knew too!? I should've known." He scoffed.

"Hey! She only found out yesterday!" Dustin defended, stepping in front of the brunette.

"Guys, who cares? We have to go." Max pressed.

"I care!" Lucas shouted, still staring at Dustin. "You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!"

"So did you!" Dustin yelled back.

"What?" Lucas gaped, utterly lost. 

"You told a stranger the truth!" Dustin waved his flashlight in Max's face.

"A stranger?" Her words came out as a scoff, Dustin's claim annoying her.

"What about Russell?!" Lucas yelled, waving his hand in the girl's direction.

"We couldn't find any of you guys! We needed help!" Dustin defended. "We both broke the rule of law, okay? So we're eve. We're even."

"No, no! We're not even, don't even try that. Your stupid pet could have ate us for dinner!" Lucas squeaked out.

"That was not my fault!"

"Hey guys?" Steve said over his shoulder.

"He wasn't gonna eat us!" Dustin continued.