New York Trip: First Day

"And this," the general manager said with a flourish, "is the terrace of your room, sirs."

Alex and Henry walked through the terrace and walked around it

Alex and Henry walked through the terrace and walked around it. Alex touched the sofa, which is really soft and comfortable for an outdoor setting. Right next to them is the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple.

They were supposed to stay at The Plaza, a Bakker-Smith family favorite since the beginning of time. After all, Henry's Dutch American relatives have minority stakes there. However, Henry and Alex ended up getting this suite from The Langham because when he tried booking, there's not one room available for them.

"It's such a pity we can't get a room at the Plaza," Alex sighed. "I've always wanted to try the Fitzgerald suite. But still, this place is really cool."

"I agree. Besides, The Plaza does not have a balcony on many of its suites," Henry added, "But it was given. After all, they were built in the 1800s."

The butler popped the champagne and poured it onto the prepared Baccarat glasses. In front of them, are a box of curated chocolates bon-bons from the hotel's in-house pastry chef. Alex can't help himself but fished a piece from the box.

After getting married for three years, Alex somehow are used to all kinds of luxurious interior design every city has thrown up on. From the tacky, gold-painted Greco-Roman with huge columns that screams loud and obnoxiousness of a Trump hotel in DC (he didn't stay there, truthfully), classic tropical Balinese serenity of Ubud's Mandapa resort, Japanese wabi-sabi ideology of Aman Kyoto, to the harmony of subdued modernism inside a Le Meridien. In the end, he always preferred the simplicity ones like a Pullman or Novotel, historical ones like Hotel Indonesia Kempinski, Raffles Singapore or Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, and even youthful vibes of a W Hotel in Seminyak or a Renaissance in New York.

"The limousine is ready for your disposal, sir. We recommend you to take a ride into the Times Square at night, but for now, we recommend you to take a stroll into the Central Park, leave something at the Strawberry Fields plaque, or just feed the ducks," the manager said to them.

"We'll keep that in mind, thank you," Henry said, as he looked at the view while sipping his champagne.

"Please let us know if you have any questions, or if there's anything that we can do to make your stay in The Langham comfortable."

Alex smiled as he replied, "Yes, we will. Thank you."

The manager bowed out and discreetly left the room. Henry sighed and fall onto the sofa, slightly exhausted. After all, they just came out of the JFK Airport. All of the Global Entry machine in the immigration area is broken and they had to line up with other passengers and it took them at least two and half hours to get out of the line (they only opened one booth!). At least their luggage came out first and it didn't take long for them to get out of the Arrival terminal and jumped into the limo the hotel prepared them. By the time they arrived in the hotel, it was 4 pm with the sun is starting to lower its presence.