04. You stabbed me in the back, but not deep enough.

Veronica's pov

Missy and I have spent all of the last three hours situating her guest room. Rummaging through old boxes of photos she had forgotten about, and knocking dust off the furniture that collected over the years. The room wasn't bad to begin with, just cluttered and needing a good wipe down. However, with her being the gracious host she always is she wanted to assure that I had a neat and tidy space to call my own for the time being. Now we have some fresh linen in the wash, entering its last cycle before I can throw them in the dryer.

     I step outside for some fresh air as I wait, bringing my phone with me to sort through the mounds of messages and missed calls I've collected over the last few hours. All of which are from jasper. I haven't had a moment to catch my breath and ground myself, but from the sounds of my continuously vibrating cellphone I still won't be granted that luxury.

    I see jasper's name across the top of my screen. A picture of the two of us smiling widely at the camera fully displaying. This causes a sad smile to spread across my face, a dull ache plucking at my heart. With much apprehension I use my thumb to slowly slide the answer button over, taking a moment to gather my thoughts before putting the device up to my ear.

  "Hello" I muster up timidly, as I bring my lips between my teeth and knoll on it slightly.

"Veronica. Thank fuck you are okay. You have me worried fucking sick" his deep voice bellows from the other side of the speaker, his tone so stern and callous it causes me to freeze in place. I don't reply, not being able to find the words to say to him as a bundle of nerves begins to cultivate in the pit of my stomach, provoking me to swallow harshly.
The tension hangs thick in the air as I hear him breathing deeply on the other line. I can imagine that bright blue vein bulging out on the center of his forehead like it usually does when his anger gets the best of him. He's probably clenching his jaw tightly as he musters up his next response.

"I hope you had fun on your little adventure because once you tell me where the hell you're at you're-" he begins to scream at me, his loud and abrasive words making me flinch. Warm tears begin to swell in my eyes, my chest getting tight as a sob builds up.

  "No" I manage to force the word out of my mouth aggressively, the loudness I muster up causing my throat to sting. Jasper falls silent, the only sound coming from the crude breaths he is letting slip from his parted lips.

"What the fuck did you just say?" He challenges after a moment, his tone rigid and assertive.

  "I said no. We are over. I only took what I needed. I dont care what you do with the rest. I just can't do it anymore" I reply as I swallow back the cry I almost choke on. Saying it made it all too real, a grim reality i wasn't prepared to admit despite all the events of the last 18 hours. I knew what I was doing and why but actually saying it out loud made all the air fall from my lungs. The world as I've known it for the last half a decade of my life has come crumbling down at the hands of that one statement. Regardless of what he's done, my body stills yearns for him and his touch. My lips ache for the feel of his against them, and how they would make all my worries melt away. Even though he's been the main source of my pain, I hate the thought of being the cause of his.

"Listen, you stupid bitch. If you think you're going to just walk away from me then you have another thing coming" he replies. The rage dripping from his words as his menacing tone echoes in my ear.

   "No, jasper. YOU listen! I'm done. Please leave me alone, after everything you've put me through you at least owe me that" I say back meekly, the small amount of confidence I once had now shattered.

"I owe you? After taking care of your sorry ass for the last five years I OWE YOU?" He questions. His statement taking me aback, causing a befuddled gasp to fall from my mouth.