17. But now I'm right where I belong

"Come back to California with me" he speaks as if it's the most obvious solution.

I can't help but stare at him, trying to figure out if this was some sick joke or a genuine idea. I wait for him a to crack a smile, roll his eyes, anything to signal that his statement held no ground. But to no avail

"You can't be serious" I try to come off as delicate as possible, but the bewilderment in my voice is all too clear as I gaze at him through furrowed eyes.

"Of course I am" he says, perplexed at my skepticism.

"How would that even work? We can't leave Missy here by herself" I know she isn't helpless, but after the events of yesterday I can't help but worry about her well being. Especially when she resides alone directly at the epicenter of the crime.

"I'm glad you brought that up, because she actually informed me that she wants to stay with Aunt Darcy for a while. She's been debating selling the house for a while anyway." I'm surprised at his confession. I didn't expect Missy to live her golden years out alone, but I never anticipated it to come so soon.

I can't speak, I just continue to stare straight ahead and ponder over the possibilities. There's no right or wrong answer, the pros and cons break even on the scale of what ifs. There's a bigger issue at hand, this is a semi solution to Jasper. I know it won't take long for him to figure out I've seeked asylum else where and when he does its a matter of time until he ultimately finds me. Again. It's hard to tell what he will do to not only me, but Noah. He's a vindictive man, with all the wrong intentions. I know what it's like to be on the other end of his wrath.

Not to mention, it was hard enough to coexist with Noah here. I can only imagine the complications that are sure to arise if we cross that line and make his home ours. We have a lot to figure out, and there's no telling what's in store for the two of us.

——

Three days later

"There's a spare room down the hall, last door on the left. You can do whatever the fuck you want with it honestly. Just make yourself comfortable" Noah instructs as we walk through his front door. He got word two days ago that his house was up to par and he could come back and get his life back into somewhat of an order. In those two days he, along with Missy, managed to convince me to pack up what minuscule belongings I have and depart to the opposite side of the country with Noah. They made it seem like the most reasonable solution to the problem at large. I needed out of Virginia and Noah has a home in a completely different time zone. It was a no brainer, but I can't shake feeling like it was a grave mistake. I couldn't wash away the unsettling feeling that showers over me heavily, I could turn a blind eye to it and blame it on the jet lag. But what's the point in lying. I know what's eating away at ms like a pack of maggots on rotten flesh, gnawing until it reaches the bone.

"Thanks I appreciate it" I say it with a forced smile. I really am eternally grateful for his generosity, it takes a gracious soul to open up not only their lives but their home.

"It's what friends are for" he seemingly friendzones me without batting an eye, not that it was a hard conclusion to draw on my own. It was just a slap in the face hearing him state the obvious.

"I will be in my room, it's at the end of the hall upstairs, you're more than welcome to help yourself to food, drinks, there's a pool out back. Make yourself at home" he offers as he begins the journey to the second level of the house, two large duffel bags snug between both closed hands.

I follow behind him up the stairs, and take the first turn to find my new room. The walk down the picture-less hallway was a short one. I reach the last door on the left quickly, giving it a swift push to open. The spacious room is painted a deep grey color, a full size bed with black covers sits in the corner, a small three drawer nightstand directly beside it being the only two things to occupy the space. It's exactly what I would have pictured a room decorated by Noah would look like, simple and masculine. The thought provokes a small chuckle as I stand in the threshold for a moment, struggling to gather my scattered thoughts. It's been a long last few days and after all the hustle and bustle I can finally attempt to come back down to earth. It's surreal that after all these years this is where I end up, rooming with someone I tried to leave behind years ago. Having him take me in after everything I put him through. After the unread messages and deliberately missed calls he still somehow found a way to forgive me and still stand tall in my corner. The thought makes my stomach twist with disgust, ashamed of the person I became.