Chapter 10: Dance With Me

As they danced, the gym seemed empty. Neither of them cared what was happening around them; The only thing that mattered was each other.

Peter held Maria's waist with one arm and her hand in his. He rhythmically swayed to the music, and Maria's head rested on his shoulder. They stepped from side to side, dancing with such elegance that no one could have guessed it was their first slow dance.

Peter looked into her eyes as they swayed to the song, and he couldn't help but think how lucky he was. It had never been more straightforward than that moment that God had answered his prayer. Maria was the miracle, and this was evident from everything about her, from the way she spoke to the glimmering sparkle in her timid blue eyes.

Peter learned how to dance years ago by watching old VHS tapes on the TVs in the store windows. That was how he learned a lot of things, especially since his mother often threw him out of the house at night-something that no nine-year-old should ever have to experience, especially not one as sweet as Peter was.

As they danced, Maria's eyes watered a bit. She had never felt so safe with anyone before, and yet he gave it to her without even doing anything. It was so natural for him that you would think God himself sent him. An angel who was sent to watch over her, and by the way he danced so gracefully, one would easily mistake him for having wings upon which he was gliding.

He leaned Maria back with his arm, his one hand caressing her cheek. Sweetly, he asked her in a sweet and low tone, "May I?"

Maria nodded and closed her eyes as he gently kissed her soft lips, the music ending perfectly in synch with his kiss. It felt like her heart fluttered, and every thought or worry seemed to vanish completely.

The disc jockey tapped on the mic. "Listen up, Homies. This dance is officially over. Make your way home." The announcement was met with a series of boos and grumbles. Even a few cups were thrown in response.

Maria grabbed onto Peter's arm. Still extremely flustered, she held onto him tightly as they left the gym. Peter stopped walking as they got outside the doors and checked his pocket watch.

He clicked the button on top of it and looked at the face of the pocket watch. It was 11:10 PM.

He wrapped his jacket around Maria's shoulders as she leaned on him. The soft cashmere lining felt good on her bare shoulders. "It's a little cold, Vee. And a long walk to your house."

Maria nodded, resting her head on his shoulder as they walked. It was such a peaceful night, even though it was cold. The air was cool and crisp, with a misty wind blowing, making it feel twenty degrees colder. The temperature didn't matter to them, though. They both would gladly spend forever at that moment.

"Peter, thank you again." Maria said as she walked the empty streets with him. Peter hugged her, whispering sweetly, "You have no need to thank me."

It broke his heart that she had so many doubts about herself, but he was always determined to let her know that they weren't true. He smiled brightly at her, the moonlight glinting off his teeth and making them sparkle, "Getting to see you was all the thanks I could ever need."

Maria was a sweet girl, but because of that, she was often used in relationships, something that caused her to have a lot of self-doubt and anxiety. Despite how frequently he had to remind her that he loved her and would never leave, Peter never stopped trying to ease her fears.

As they neared her house, Peter sighed with annoyance. "Shit. Your dad's gonna kill me." Maria noticed her father standing at the door of the house. He was definitely not happy that they had stayed out past 10 PM.

"I completely forgot what time it is," she said, blushing and nervous. Peter held her close, calming her worries as she looked into his green eyes. Something about those soft and kindred eyes always gave her a safe feeling.

"Shh... It's okay. You'll be fine, Vee." Peter spoke softly into her ear as they walked to the house. Mr. Morris stood angrily, tapping his foot at the door.

"Where the hell have you been, Peter Jacob Morgan!" Mr. Morris shouted in Peter's face, "I already disapproved of you taking my daughter to that dance, but now you dare to show up late."

Mr. Morris slammed the door in Peter's face. "Get the hell out!" he shouted as he opened the door again. Mr. Morris stomped out the back door for a smoke on his porch-something he only did when he was stressed or angry, and tonight had really pushed his limits.

There was no shouting, just quiet night air. Maria ran out and kissed Peter's cheek, "I'm sorry for my father, Peter."

"Y-yeah... It's fine..." Peter blushed deeply, struggling to say anything but somehow managing to utter a few words in response.

Maria giggled and went back inside, leaving Peter breathless. His jacket smelled like her, like fresh roses on a misty morning. He figured she probably put on some sort of perfume since she usually smelled like cinnamon cookies that had just come out of the oven.

Peter danced his way down the patio, happy about the fantastic night. Nothing could possibly ruin it. He returned to his pickup, which he had left out front of her house when he came to pick her up. Maybe he would have driven if he knew it was going to get so cold.

He slammed the door shut; it was old, and the door sometimes swung open while driving, so he had to make sure he closed it tight enough. The old pickup rumbled to life, and Peter returned home, unaware of what was happening at Mordecai's lab.