Chapter 14: Morning Angel

Peter was gently stirred by the morning sun, peering in through the treetops and hitting him in the face. The sun's light was hazy from the morning dew that hung in the air. The air smelled like fresh winter pine, and the birds sang with elegance. It was a beautiful morning in every way. 

Maria quietly lay on his chest, still sleeping, her steady breaths visible in the crisp morning air. Even though the sun was just starting to rise and looked breathtaking, Peter couldn't help but feel that Maria was the best sight there. "How can someone look like such an angel?" He thought to himself with a smile on his face. 

Peter lay beside Maria, with the warm rays of the morning sun shining through the window. She slept soundly on his chest, and he watched the trees outside as the sun slowly rose above them. When he noticed Maria stirring, he whispered, "Morning, Sunshine," with a gentle smile. Although neither of them were morning people, Peter hoped the peaceful moment they shared would make the start of their day a little better. 

Maria leaned in and softly kissed Peter's lips, still groggy from waking up. "Morning," she giggled quietly in her morning voice. Peter's goofy smile gave her butterflies. "It's too early for you to fluster me," she thought as she looked at his adorable yet somewhat goofy smile. 

"Look at how beautiful that sunrise is, Red," Maria said, changing the subject to stop herself from blushing. Peter leaned over and pulled her closer to him. She blushed more as his hand touched her thigh. She was annoyed that she folded so quickly at everything he did. How did he manage to fluster her without trying? 

"But it's nothing compared to you," Peter said with a smile so warm it could melt your fears instantly—and dissolve her fears it did. Maria blushed deeply, slightly mad at herself for being so easily flustered by such a goofball as Peter. 

"I'm literally in your old hoodie and sweats with a messy bun. I look awful." Maria said with a laugh, her cheeks flushed with red. The hoodie was a bit oversized, and she looked like a little kid while wearing it. Despite Peter being shorter, he wore shirts three times her size. Maria was still a petite girl even though she was six feet tall. 

Peter chuckled softly, "I couldn't imagine a more beautiful thing." Maria's cheeks were burning red as she buried her face in Peter's chest, trying to hide the fact that she was blushing. The fact that Peter saw her beauty even in such basic clothes warmed her heart. 

He hugged her tightly, his arms wrapped around her, and he held her close to his chest. She was far too embarrassed to say anything, and he was well aware. "Should we head into town, Vee?" he asked while smiling down at her. 

Maria nodded quickly, her head still buried in his chest. Peter smelled like fresh redwood timber, a smell she loved. Part of the reason she loved the smell was because it was so familiar, and her father often came home smelling that way. He gathered the flashlight and walked with her. 

"I'll drop you off before I go to the yard," Peter said with a smile. Maria agreed with him; since the café was on the way to the lumber yard, it wasn't a nuisance. In fact, it was actually more accessible that way. 

The two walked in peaceful silence as they made their way back. There were never awkward silences between them, even before they were dating. Both were content with being quiet together, even back when they were little. They held each other's hands as they walked, just happy being with each other. 

Peter stopped in front of the café and opened the door for Maria. "Ma lady?" he joked, dramatically bowing to Maria as he held open the door. Peter's father made sure to teach him manners and how to be a gentleman early in life. 

Maria giggled with a joking curtsey before walking inside the café, "How humble."

The sound of her giggle was like the most beautiful music the universe could ever make. It put an angel's sweet lullaby to shame, or at least that's what Peter thought. Peter watched her for a minute before heading to the lumber yard. She had kissed his cheek and went inside to get to work on making coffee and washing dishes. 

He loved his job more than a lot of things, but he always hated leaving Maria for it. If he could, he would stop working to be with her twenty-four-seven. And that was his plan. To propose and then become a stay-at-home husband or, hopefully, stay-at-home dad. 

Peter sighed as he saw the lumber yard in the distance. It was going to be another whole eight hours before he could see her again. But eight hours could quickly feel like an eternity. 

As Peter entered the lumber yard, Mr. Marsh approached him with a look of concern. "Have you seen Michael, Peter?" Mr. Marsh asked, worry in his voice. 

Peter shook his head, "Not since last night when I got Maria, Sir." Peter paused for a minute, "Why? Did something happen?"

Mr. Marsh shook his head, "No... I... I don't think so... Just haven't seen him at the yard in days."

Mr. Marsh mumbled something under his breath and then walked away with his usual awkward shuffle, Peter observed. Although it was unusual for Michael to be late, Peter didn't think much of it. "Maybe Michael was just stuck in traffic," he thought to himself as he started chopping wood. 

Peter was much more focused on finishing up work than he was on Michael's whereabouts. Michael did sometimes come into work a little late due to stopping by the café. He liked to say good morning to his daughter and also get a nice fresh cappuccino before a long day's work at the lumber yard.