Chapter 20: Project Mortuus

Peter's vision faded in and out as light hit him, and a lithe man came to kneel at his side. It was Mordecai Mallard. Somehow, Mordecai had seen him being attacked and come to his aid. 

Mordecai bent down and lifted Peter's head shakily in his arms, "P-Peter... No... No, what have I done..."

That machine he created had caused the creature to exist, and the machine had caused the death of Peter's Father, too. He always thought that he would save the world with his incredible inventions, but all he had done was kill two Morgans and shatter families. 

As the sirens of the paramedics filled the air and Peter's consciousness waned, he could just barely hear Mordecai whisper, "This is all my fault. You didn't deserve this... I'll fix you... I will make this right.." 

Peter drew in shaky breaths; each one hurt like his lungs were aflame. He could see his heart beating in his chest from the gaping wound. The creature had torn into him and left hardly any part of him without blood. 

As a paramedic helped him onto a stretcher, Peter grabbed the collar of the paramedic beside him, "KILL ME!! KILL ME!!" He begged the man. "END THE PAIN!!" 

As Peter gripped the man's collar, he caught a glimpse of horrifying himself in his glasses. His face resembled a bloody puddle of goop rather than a human. He would never have believed it was him if it weren't for the pendant around the reflection's neck. 

His teeth were shattered or missing, and bits of one eye were dangling from its socket. It was like a horror movie, but he was the monster this time. Some of his ribcage was jutting out with pierced organs around them. Peter knew he was going to die, and even if he wasn't, was it worth living? 

He'd be horribly mutilated, and he'd have no lover; his home would still be destroyed. There was nothing worth fighting for. Even as he thought of his best friend, Annastasia, things felt hopeless. He hoped she would forgive him for losing the fight, but his will was not strong enough to keep going. 

Peter could feel himself dying as they wheeled him into an operating room. And for a split second, he thought he had seen Maria standing in the corner. Maybe he did, or perhaps it was a trick of his dying mind. 

As they operated, Peter's consciousness faded into the beeping of a heart monitor. He woke in a bright room. Everything in the room was as white as the Himalayas and seemed to stretch endlessly in all directions. The only things in the room were a table, chairs, and an old grandfather clock. 

"Hello, Peter. I wish I could guide you to your final rest, but this is not the end for you." A cloaked figure said to him as the figure sat in a chair, its voice raspy and yet calm. Somehow, when it spoke, he felt a feeling of calmness, like Maria was there hugging him. 

Peter stood and walked to the mysterious figure. "Are... Are you... Death?" Peter asked, unsure of himself. The figure only nodded slowly. 

"Where... Where am I?" Peter asked Death. 

"You are everywhere and nowhere... A child that the universe forgot..." Death said, his bony hand wrapped around an ancient scythe. "Evil is born, but heroes are made. The question you must ask yourself is... What makes you?"

Peter opened his mouth to speak but stopped as the reaper raised his bony finger. Despite this terrifying angel's job, he had the essence of a caring father. The crystal clock beside the two suddenly rang out loud, its chiming growing louder as the room fell to sand beneath Peter's feet. 

"Your time here is ending, Peter Jacob Morgan... Whatever you become, do not forget yourself..." Death said as the room around him slowly faded into nothing, and a cold chill surrounded Peter as his heart began pumping with a slow beat