Chapter Thirty-One: Manipulative

Tyler's POV

I stand up from the bed and walk to the bathroom. Ethan follows me, completely frantic, trying to stop the bleeding with his fingers. I grab the towel I used for my shower and wrap it around my waist as I study the wound in the mirror. The blood seems to be coming from four holes that match where his canine teeth were. Crimson streaks down my chest, a shocking color against my pale skin. I turn around and see it slipping even more quickly down my back. The rivulets are thin, but they are moving across my sweaty skin quickly.

Ethan stuffs a wad of toilet paper against the wound as I sit on the toilet lid. When I see the tears in his eyes, I grab his hands.

"Ethan," I say in a loud voice. "Stop. I knew what was going to happen. It didn't hurt. The bleeding will stop in a bit." I swallow. "Relax, please. Please."

"You're not supposed to bleed that much," Ethan worries.

"Then we'll go see Dr. Cable," I say. I realize Ethan has a bit of blood on his chin and reach to wipe it off with my thumb. "But you can't go naked."

Ethan only just now seems to remember he's still naked. He dresses hurriedly as I keep the toilet paper pressed to my mark. My migraine is nearly gone, at least, but Ethan's bite is really starting to hurt. I think I'd still prefer that we were in bed, sleeping this off. I'm annoyed by the blood. Why does it have to ruin such a perfect moment?

Ethan mops up the blood on my skin with some more toilet paper, then gives me a fresh pad of it to press to my shoulder. He offers me his hand to help me up, but I refuse. "I'm not parading through the packhouse with a towel on my waist and a scarlet letter on my shoulder!"

Ethan nods hurriedly, then retrieves his jacket from the bedroom. He wraps it around my shoulders, helping me guide my arms through it like a child. Then he puts the pajama pants back onto me. The entire time, all I can think of is how much I want to be cuddling against him in bed.

I hold the pad of toilet paper to my skin, through the jacket, as Ethan guides me down the red-lit hall. Mercifully, no one is around to ask us what we are doing. We make it back to Dr. Cable's room quickly. She is there, though she sits at the counter with her back to us. From the screen on her laptop, I think she is researching Phong's legend lore.

"Dr. Cable, his mating mark is bleeding badly," Ethan says in a panicked voice.

Dr. Cable looks back. She gives me a sympathetic smile. "You really can't stay away from me, can you? Just text me or something, you don't need to injure yourself to come see me."

I smile at this polite but chummy attitude from a woman old enough to be my mother in the presence of my soulmate. "I like an educated woman," I say with a shrug. Ethan pays the joke zero attention as he helps me sit back on the exam bed. As though I needed help.

"It's a lot of blood," I say, unzipping the jacket. "But really, I think it's fine."

"Do you want me to leave?" Ethan asks, standing back.

"No, Ethan," I say, reaching for his hand as Dr. Cable leans in to take a look at my wound. "You can stay."

"Oh, yeah," Dr. Cable says, nodding. "Looks like it's a bleeder. That happens. Do you have any clotting disorders, Tyler?"

"None that I'm aware of," I say as she holds up an alcohol pad in warning. I grit my teeth and grip Ethan's hand as she cleans the wound, sending stinging pains through my skin. Then she sets to properly dressing it.

"The canine teeth elongate for the mating process," Dr. Cable explains. "Sometimes, something gets nicked. It happens."

I look over at Ethan. He shows me his teeth uncertainly, still worried out of his mind. I study his canine teeth, trying to see if they are longer. Perhaps just a bit, but it's nothing I'd think twice about if I weren't looking for it.

"It'll go away in a few minutes," Dr. Cable tells Ethan. She looks at me. "Wolves hate seeing their mates in pain, and especially can't stand seeing their blood. Most wolves, regardless of age or gender, cry like children when their partners go into labor. It's just too hard for them to watch their mate in pain."

"It doesn't really hurt," I say, shrugging with my free shoulder. But I understand her meaning. The memory of Ethan's panic makes my heart swell. This injury might not be a big deal to me, but it is to him.

"Okay," Dr. Cable says, taping the bandage to me. "That should do it. If it's still bleeding in a couple of hours, come back to me and we'll try some clotting agents. I want you drinking lots of fluids, okay? I'm going to go get you a water bottle."

I nod. Dr. Cable leaves us be.

"I'm sorry," Ethan sighs, seeming disappointed in himself. "I made a big deal out of it."

"You just owe me a lot of cuddling," I try to joke. Ethan looks pissed at himself for ruining the moment. I stand up to hug him. Raising my left arm hurts because it contracts the mating mark, so I just sling that arm around his waist. "It's okay, yêu. Our imperfect day, remember?"

Ethan laughs nervously. "I'll give you all the cuddles you want," he promises, kissing my cheek. He remembers something, leaning back again. "You did promise to cook for my grandparents."

"Oh, that was a joke. I'm ordering food," I say. I frown. "Would it be offensive to order Chinese food? I want Chinese food."

A shadow of Ethan's real, happy grin slides onto his face. "It's not offensive. They love Chinese food."

"Then I'll order Chinese food," I say. I gently press my nose to his, keeping his brown eyes as the focus of my vision. "Thank you for worrying about me, Ethan." I blush a bit, but continue in a soft voice. "It makes me feel safe."

I remember that there was a reason for all of this. To be honest, I would have been fine waiting for intimacy. It took a lot of concentration to focus on being sexy. I certainly have no regrets, but I would have been fine either way.

I should tell him.

He's going to be pissed.

"You didn't hear it," I say, leaning back. "But your grandpa whispered something to me. Before they left us down here."

Ethan's brow furrows. "What'd he say?"

I smile. "He said the bite didn't have to be from your wolf form."

Ethan gasps, jerking backward. He stares at me, his mouth hanging open. "You- you tricked me?" he asks, stunned.

"Nope," I say, shaking my head. "You just got distracted."

His shoulders fall. "Is that the only reason you- you..."

"No," I say firmly, shaking my head. This hurts my neck, so I make a mental note not to do that again. "That was just the straw that broke the camel's back." I shrug lightly, mostly with my right shoulder. "And I figured we both needed the stress relief."

"You bastard," he says softly, but I see the amazement and humor starting to grow in his eyes. "You manipulative bastard!"

"I get what I want," I say. I clap my hands together. "Come on. Let's have dinner before I start sweating and puking."

"Asshole!" Ethan exclaims, but he's smiling now. He's more pissed at himself than anything. And I don't think he knew I had the capability to pull something like this.

"Speaking of," I say, grinning. I hold up three fingers. "Thanks."

Ethan begins laughing a tired, exasperated laugh. I stick my tongue out and lead him out of the room.