Chapter Thirty-Two: Sick

Ethan's POV

My mind is spinning at such a wicked velocity it's a miracle my neck hasn't snapped by now.

First was the sex. It was amazing. Indescribable. That itself would have taken me a few days to process. My first time with my soulmate is something I've been dreaming of since I was old enough to know what sex was. And Tyler was incredible. Not just his body, but his mind. His relaxation, his earnestness, his apparent comfort around me. The experience was, simply put, perfect.

Now I'm also trying to figure out if I'm angry at him for tricking me into biting him. I genuinely can't tell if I'm mad. I mean, I did the damn thing. I bit him. And I'm not sorry I did it. I don't regret one moment of the time we spent in bed together.

But I think I'm going to hate him, and myself, when he's puking his guts out tonight.

Adding to the spinning is my amazement at his brain, his motivation, his acting skills. I remember what he was saying about Karmen accusing him of being mean. She was kind of onto something. I don't think he is mean. I think he is ruthless. The two words are not always synonymous. "Ruthless" describes the relentless drive with which he chases what he wants, regardless of what is in his way.

In this example, the ruthlessness wasn't too bad. I don't think I'm angry. In fact, I'm pleased. But I make a mental note to keep an eye on him if I deny him anything in the future. He might put jewelry store credit cards under my social security number if he wants to be proposed to. He could adopt a cat or dog even if I say it isn't a good idea. He could take out student loans for a school across the state, forcing me to move with him.

The thoughts make me smile to myself. I'm confident he could never do anything to harm me, so those stupid and subtle ways of getting what he wants seem laughable. I would open up the credit card myself if he wanted a ring. I would adopt whatever animal he wanted. I would move anywhere he needed. He deserves it all.

Dr. Cable passes by us as we leave the exam room and hands Tyler a bottle of water. He thanks her, then begins to down it as we climb the stairs.

"I'm going to change into some clothes of yours," he informs me as we walk down the red-lit hallway to my apartment. He burps loudly before he pushes open the door, then disappears directly into my room. I stare tiredly at the closed door for a moment before I look to my grandparents.

"He's exhausting," I complain softly, though I can't stop myself from smiling. I grab my laptop off of the coffee table so I can order food.

"The pretty ones always are," my grandmother says cheerily. "Lighten up, Ethan." She spots my screen. "Ooh, Chinese?" She realizes and laughs. "Is that what Tyler wanted to "cook"?"

I nod. "I think he was going to try to pay for it, so I'm doing it. It was his idea, though."

As I select our food from the online menu, a thought strikes me.

Why do I feel so... okay?

Meeting the rogue today was proof that my dad could be in serious trouble. I'm worried about him, definitely, but I'm not out of my mind with fear. Why? Is my loyalty to my father so shallow? What is wrong with me?

I think I have too many things to think about.

The idea of being too busy to worry about my father makes me want to put my head through the table.

But... maybe there is something else to it. Try as I might, I can't find any fear for him. Could it be because he is so tough? So shrewd and smart, his wolf form large and healthy, his patience snapped by the loss of my mother? The rogue who bit Tyler certainly couldn't have taken my father down. I don't think any single rogue would stand a chance against him. They would have to team up, and rogues are not known for their cooperation skills.