Chapter 21

"He's a Curse now,"

Although I knew that, hearing someone else say it aloud hurt more.

"Ha... ne... ki..." A familiar, yet strange, voice is heard. I look up at the Spirit, who appears to be trying to talk.

"H- Ha... ne, ki,"

I escape from Fushiguro's grasp on me and reach out a hand to Hakuto.

'He remembers me,' I reassure myself. I needed any excuse. Any. Just to tell myself he wasn't a 'real' Spirit.

"Ha... kahhhhhh!!!" He suddenly lunges forward, preparing to sink his teeth into my hand. I quickly pull my hand away and get ready to launch a  hard downward punch on his head. He's a Cursed Spirit now, not Hakuto, not my brother. I can kill him. I should kill him. However, regardless of my thoughts, my hand flinches away. I can't. I can't.

"Gyokuken!"

The two dogs, one black, and one white appear from Fushigro's shadow and tackle the Spirit.

'Wait!' I shout, but no words are heard aloud. I stand still, tracking the dogs that are preparing for their attacks.

"..." Hakuto, I mean, the Spirit, is staring blankly at me. Although his expression is unreadable, I sensed a loneliness in him.

"Attack," Fushiguro simply orders. As soon as the words leave his lips, the dogs immediately slash down, drawing purple blood. Fushiguro keeps an eye on the Spirit, making sure it'll die. Inumaki stares at me, a worrying look plastered to his face. And Gojo-sensei is leaning on one of the walls with a bored expression; it's obvious he won't do anything to help  Fushiguro kill the Spirit.

"Kahh!" The Spirit lets out a piercing scream and extends his arm out to me. I gaze at it for a second before turning my back on it. No need to feel pity on the Spirit that needs to die...

"Haneki!" Gojo-sensei suddenly pulls me to the side, a white fist missing my face by less than a centimeter. Sensei's face showed fear for a second, but now it's gone. I look around. The Divine Dogs are nowhere to be seen and Fushiguro looks tired. Inumaki has his scarf down, getting ready to use his Cursed Speech on the Spirit. The Spirit was glowing a bright red, like a lone ruby in the dark sky.

Then the Spirit puts his hands together into a ball and closes his eyes. Immediately, the environment around us changes. The furniture and warm walls are gone, only to be replaced by dark walls with bunches of fire burning on the ceiling.

'A domain expansion,' I think in alarm.

"Don't move," I hear Inumaki say behind me.

"If you want to live, you have to snap out of it," Gojo-sensei says while shaking my shoulders. I shake my head. Hakuto is Cursed Spirit now. Natsuki, Mom, and Dad are dead. I don't know who or where my real family is. Itami only brings me endless torture. What's the use of living? If I were to die, I would rather die from Hakuto.

"Then- then think of it this way," He says hurriedly, "If you want to kill more Spirits, you have to be alive. The least you can do to your family is to kill more Cursed Spirits," I stay silent for a moment. I have never seen Gojo-sensei this way.

"What's the point?" I ask weakly, "If I die right now, it wouldn't matter whether there are Spirits or not. At least, not to me," I'd just be dead and sent to the place; if there is any, where dead souls are brought to. The Spirits wouldn't affect me.

"What about your real family?" He suddenly brings up, looking quite serious. I shake my head again.

"They abandoned me. They hate me. They wish I'm dead. They would like it better if I died right now,"

"What if they don't?" He asks.

"How would you know?" I counter, "Obviously they want me gone from this world. Why else would they abandon a baby on the streets? Oh, wait, yeah. I'm cursed," I point at my eyes, giving Gojo-sensei a cold glare.

"Attack. Now!" Fushiguro orders.

"Why do you want me alive so badly?"

"Just listen, and don't ask any questions: We need you right now to kill Spirits. Not just this one, but also others that are out and about in our world," He bends down until we are at eye level.

"And I'm sure this Spirit is connected to you in some way," He adds.

"He's my brother," I say, my voice getting quieter until it's just a whisper, "I can't kill him,"

"Takana, mentaiko," Inumaki suddenly says behind me. I turn around and flinch. Since when was he there?

"Sha-" However, before Inumaki can finish what he's about to say, a bunched-up fist surrounded with red Cursed Energy flies towards his head. And it's about to hit him.

(783 words)

Sorry about the late update.. i haven't had any ideas to write lately