xChapter 6 - The Moore The Merrier! (2)

At The Dining Table in The Moore's Apartment Room, Elizabeth is sitting at the table with a mortified look on her face. The reason? Three of her classmates – Ronnie, Alex, & Marcus – have randomly joined her family for dinner and are chatting with them like they were great friends.

"So, you're in high school, how's it like?" Hai Vhan Moore, Elizabeth's younger brother in middle school, asked Marcus.

"Oh, it's a bit unpredictable. Like sometimes you can be doing nothing in a classroom and then next thing you know you're at a stranger's house having dinner with their whole family," Marcus replies.

"Woah, cool."

Elizabeth looks over to see her mom, Lan Thi Pham-Moore, chatting with Alex.

"So how's your mother been doing Alex?" Mrs. Moore asks.

"Oh her? She's been doing fine, still looking at interviews though," Alex replies.

"Oh that's great, I hope she manages to find a job soon."

"Uh, yeah...me too."

Elizabeth glances at the other end of the table to see her younger sister in elementary school, Lang Thi Moore, stealing some food off of Ronnie's plate while he chats with her father, Nolan Moore.

"So yeah, every kid we have we toss a coin, and whoever guesses which side it'll land on gets to name the kid," Mr. Moore explains to Ronnie.

"So I'm guessing you got to name Elizabeth?" Ronnie asks.

"Yep, probably why she has my vision."

Both Nolan Moore & Ronnie laugh at that remark, causing Elizabeth's face to blush red in embarrassment. Ronnie turns his attention to Elizabeth.

"Yo Elizabeth, you're family is great!" Ronnie exclaims.

As the dinner table continuously gets more talkative and loud, the tension in Elizabeth's mind only grows until it reaches a boiling point. Elizabeth stands up sharply and begins to walk to her room.

"I'm not feeling so good!" Elizabeth exclaims while running to her bedroom.

Elizabeth enters the room and then quickly closes the door.

The table suddenly falls silent.

"Sorry about that, we didn't really mention to Elizabeth we were stopping by so this probably surprised her," Ronnie states.

"No no don't feel bad, we can go talk to her and get her to come back out and have fun, she's a bit shy," Mrs. Moore explains.

Despite saying that, Marcus stands up and after looking around the table, he exclaims, "Actually, do you mind if I talk to Elizabeth instead?"

Mrs. Moore & Mr. Moore look at each other for a bit before looking at Marcus.

"That isn't a problem for us," Mrs. Moore says.

"As long as it's just a few minutes, otherwise we might see what's taking so long!" Mr. Moore states jokingly.

"I'll keep that in mind, thank you," Marcus says before walking over to her door.

_________________________________

Elizabeth is sitting in her bedroom that's washed in darkness. Her desk has a ton of stuff just sloppily put on there, the trash can in the room is a bit too full, and the bed has been made but not very neatly. As she's sitting there she suddenly hears a knock on her door. Elizabeth groans as she stands up and walks over to the door.

"For the last time mom, don't bother me when I'm in my-" Elizabeth begins to say until she opens the door and sees Marcus standing in the doorway.

"Uh....hey," Marcus awkwardly chuckles.

Elizabeth just stands there as her face blushes red from the embarrassment.

"Now I may not be your uh- mom," Marcus awkwardly begins to say, "but my name does start with an 'M' so there's that. You mind if I come in?'

Elizabeth shrugs as she walks towards her bed and sits down, Marcus walks in, closes the door, and sits next to her. The two are silent as Marcus tries to find the right words to say.

"So- uh- your room is nice-"

"If you're here to make fun of me then just do it already," Elizabeth states coldly.

"What?! Make fun of you, why?" Marcus asks.

"Because...because all day you guys have been coming up to me, wanting to try and mess with me! So just stop pretending to be nice and just say what you really feel! I deserve it!"

"Elizabeth...I don't hate you. None of us hate you. Why do you think that?" Marcus asks.

"Because I..." Elizabeth begins to say as tears begin to fall down her face, "because when I was with you guys, I wanted you to stop Alex from doing what he was doing, but all that happened was both Alex & Ronnie fighting! All because of my dumb wish that was an excuse to hang out with somebody!"

Marcus is silent as Elizabeth begins to try and compose herself as she wipes away her tears.

"I- I guess I'm the worst huh? Crying to a person I barely even know, making assumptions about what they want from me, and now just spilling my guts out to them," Elizabeth sighs, "Maybe that's why so many hate me, and why I'm just a nobody. A nobody that spends all her time outside of school taking care of her siblings since some people are busy with their job."

Elizabeth & Marcus sit in her bedroom for a bit as Marcus doesn't know what to say to everything that Elizabeth just said... that is until he remembers something he was told when he was at his lowest. Something that could maybe help Elizabeth.

"Elizabeth," Marcus began, "you aren't the worst, and I hope you know that you don't need an excuse or a reason to want to hang out with us, because we're friends, that's all the reason you need."

See You Next Chapter!~