chapter 7 "badge"

It was mid afternoon, a large tractor trailer filled with horses, drove through the gravel of the ranch. I watched the men exit their trucks as they hugged and patted the existing cowboys on the ranch. I watched as I wandered over. "You best watch yourself kid. You're gonna get yourself trampled" Said a man releasing some horses In the trotting range. "It's alright. I know horses"

"And I know what a lion is, but I still keep my distance. Unless you train em, which you don't look the type, don't fuck with them"

"I train them. I know my way around a horse" this man laughs in my face before walking away from me. I watched him in a bit of annoyance. I glanced over at him greeting rip and john. John then waved his hand over to me "pink's! Come over here. I want you to meet my good friend Travis" oh...this is Travis.
"Oh we've met" Travis says looking me up and down. "How old are ya? Like 12?"
"Twenties" I said. "Yeah that's specific" he snickered.
"Pink why don't you go get your best horse. You can show em off" I nodded at John.
"Ain't nobody can beat my horses little girl. Ain't no body" I glared at Travis. "We'll see about that" I walked away into the barn. I grabbed the wild horse Casey captured from the fields months prior. The horse follows me out to the pasture.
"Ain't that the horse Casey got? It's wild" John says. "He's trained"
Travis laughs loudly '"ohhh this is gonna be good. I'm putting money down on this one"
I walked my horse into the pen. I released the horse to gallop on his own. "How much are you tryna bet on this horse sweet cheeks?" Travis looks down at me from the horse he was sitting on. "Uh..." Numbers. I had to think of a number. I can't count but I know numbers. "Five" I blurted out. "Five!? This horse better be fuckin good"
I guess five was a large number to him.
I stood at the gate and watched my horse. "Ain't you gonna get on the horse dip shit?"

"Why bother. He don't need a rider to do all that. If your horse was good enough he'd be the same way"
Travis glared at me. He spit in my direction. "Alright." He did the steps. Trot, slide, turn. He was average. Basic. Whatever. Although, my guy is perfect. Not average. Just perfect.

"Average" I said. "average!? Average!?" He yelped "the fuck do you know about average kid!? You've gotta be the dumbest son of bitch around!"
The boys chuckled behind us. "Easy there Travis. Don't be talking shit before she gets a damn chance" rip chuckled. I stepped Infront of them with my hands in the back pocket of my jean. I made eye contact with my stud across the dirt. Hated being called dumb or stupid. I may not be able to read, but I sure am street smart.

"Come on boy!" I yelled. Without hesitation the horse trotted over perfectly. "Down boy!! Down!!" Instantly that horse slid deep into the ground then stood up. Without waiting for the dust to clear a hollard "Around!" I clicked with my tongue. Swiftly my horse spun 4 times, after the 4 times he trotted himself right beside me and stood still. I looked up at Travis with a smirk. "I ain't fuckin stupid by the way. Pay up!" I held my hand out. With alot of anger he slammed a check in my hand. "Pleasure working with you" Travis was speechless. He watched me and my horse walk away dumb founded my horse followed behind me without even holding onto the reigns. I couldn't look at that Travis guy anymore. I walked back to the barn. That man made me aggravated. I led him into his pen. I glance over seeing Casey's young boy with his mother stroking and petting horses.

"Hey..."
She smiled up at me. "Hey what's up"

"I was wondering something.."

"Sure, go on."

"Could you read this check for me?"

"Sure" she took the piece of paper opening it up. She looked at it confused. "What does it say?" She cleared her throat. "It is addressed to 'a dumb buckle bunny' and the amount is for 'fuck you' signed by 'learn to fucking read sugar tits'...." She sighed glancing up at me. "Sorry pink..." She handed me the check back. "Serously...?" She shrugged and watched me with sympathy. "Who would write that?" Tate asked. "An asshole" I replied. Now. I was ferrous. I grabbed my lasso off the wall of the barn. I stormed back out to the pasture. "Hey!! Travis!" I yelled as I lassoed. He turned his snarky ass smile towards me. He knew what I knew. Along with his men and my men they looked at me funny and I swung the rope "what is it Frankenstein!?" He snickered. That was another joke about me being stupid. I tossed my rope latching it around his throat. I quickly yanked him off his horse. His body slammed into the ground. I swiftly hopped the fence. Once my feet touched ground I was ontop of him. Swinging as hard as my arms could swing. "Fuck! You! You! Fucking! Dick!!" I screamed as pounded him with fists of rage. Before I could swing again my arms were yanked behind me by his buddies. His buddies tossed me to the ground away from him.
"What the fuck!! John Control your fucking dog!"