xChapter 9 - The Cafeteria Conundrum (1)

Ronnie tries to make his way through the cafeteria as pandemonium fills the room. Zesti Champion, the only teacher on lunch duty, is being yelled at by several angry teens, one person is sobbing hysterically on the ground, & Alex Smith is considering if he should put X Locke into a nearby trashcan or not. Ronnie finally spots a normal-looking person, Elizabeth Moore, sitting all by themself. So he quickly moves over to her table and sits down on the other side of the table.

"Yo Eli, do you know what's going on in the cafeteria?" Ronnie asks as he takes out his lunch from a brown paper bag.

"Oh- uh- I think people are upset over some muffins," Elizabeth stated before adding, "Also d-do you mind just calling me Elizabeth if that's okay with you I mean."

"Oh yeah sure, sorry about that Elizabeth," Ronnie replied before turning his attention to the angry mob of students yelling at Zesti Champion, "Man I haven't had food from a school cafeteria for years, didn't think there would be so many people who still did."

"I'm in the same boat, been packing my lunch & my siblings' lunches since 5th grade," Elizabeth states nervously.

As the two begin to eat their lunch, they notice that a person comes and sits at their table before letting out a huge sigh. The person is a fellow freshman by the name of Harry 'Hamster' Martin, whose a short chubby kid with white skin, dirty blonde hair that's gelled up, blue eyes, and a ton of freckles. Hamster is wearing a red t-shirt, blue jeans, and red sandals.

"Oh Hamster, I didn't know you were in this lunch period," Ronnie states.

"Oh, hey Ronnie, sorry I'm not in the mood to chat, ever since they got rid of the muffins I've never been the same," Hamster sighs.

"That just happened today but alright," Ronnie responds before turning his attention back to Elizabeth, "Oh that's one of my classmates Hamster, everyone calls him that since he always has Bennet with him."

"Bennet?" Elizabeth asks.

Before Ronnie can respond, the two hear some squeaking coming from Hamster's head, Elizabeth looks closely at Hamster before realizing that a pet hamster is resting in Hamster's hair.

"That's Bennet," Ronnie states, "I bet he's trying to cheer up Hamster since they don't have any more muffins, aren't you Bennet?"

Bennet nods.

"Well hey, at least Bennet doesn't have to worry about some muffins, because hamsters can't eat those. I think."

"SOME MUFFIN?!" Hamster roars before directing his fury to Ronnie, "DUDE, THOSE MUFFINS ARE THE SOLE REASON 95% OF THE STUDENT BODY SHOW UP TO SCHOOL ON TUESDAYS!"

"Tuesdays?" Ronnie asks.

"YES, TUESDAYS!" Hamster begins to rant while Elizabeth just listens awkwardly, "As most of us know, every teacher tends to put their most boring lectures on Tuesdays, so to convince us to show up to school, that day they serve the best muffins you've ever had! They have the perfect amount of cinnamon, the purest blueberries one could find, and it's all cooked to perfection at 400 degrees for us to enjoy!"

"Where did you get all this information?" Ronnie asks amused.

"Oh, I got it from this book," Hamster states before handing Ronnie & Elizabeth a book named '101 tips & tricks to survive life in Starlight High 2013 Edition by X Locke'.

Elizabeth & Ronnie glance over to X who is still getting yelled at by Alex who is shoving the book in his face.

"How many people bought that book?" Elizabeth asks.

"According to X, 99% of the student body," Hamster replies while Bennet nods along.

"Well yeah of course X would say that, he's the one trying to convince you to buy the stupid thing," Ronnie states.

"Regardless of if the book is true, one thing's for certain," Hamster begins to say as he & Bennet start to cry, "My life has lost all meaning!"

As Hamster continues to cry, Ronnie tries to pat his back but that's when Hamster stands up and turns to Elizabeth & Ronnie with an enthusiasm they haven't seen from him in a while.

"You're a part of that club, The Miracle Clinic, right?! You gotta give us a miracle and make the muffins return to all of us!" Hamster begs while Bennet prays.

"I don't know man, we're trying to enjoy our lunch," Ronnie says before looking at Hamster & Bennet the hamster who are both doing their best puppy dog eyes. After a very long pause, Ronnie caves before saying, "Alright, we'll do our best to find those muffins."

"Really?! Thanks so much, you guys really are miracle workers!" Hamster shouts.

"Uh...yeah, definitely," Elizabeth says before whispering to Ronnie, "you have any idea where to start looking?"

Ronnie whispers back by saying, "No, I've got no fucking clue."

As the two look for possible leads, they notice X is still being talked to by Alex.

_________________

"So you wanna know how I managed to make my book?" X Locke asks.

"Yes if you don't mind," Ronnie asks as Elizabeth tries to hold back an angry Alex.

"No thanks man, I worked hard getting all of that information. But if you want to know where they keep the muffins-" X Locke begins to say however as soon as those words escape his mouth, all eyes in the cafeteria turn to him and he quickly hands Elizabeth a note before running from the mob of students wanting to know where the muffins are.

Elizabeth & Ronnie look down at the note to read 'The Muffins are stored somewhere in the kitchen.'

"Well that doesn't give us much information," Ronnie says.

Elizabeth looks to see that the kitchen side of the cafeteria is closed with several garage doors blocking their way to the kitchen. However, she also notices a door that leads to the kitchen.

"You got anything straight?" Elizabeth asks.

"I got a ruler in my backpack," Ronnie says.

"Good, can you hand it to me?"

"Yeah sure," Ronnie says as he takes out a ruler from his backpack.

"Thanks."

Elizabeth then begins to break the ruler into many tiny pieces and then weave it together into a key, she then uses the wooden key to unlock the door to the kitchen.

"Woah, how the hell did you do that?" Ronnie asks.

"Oh, I just learned that back when I was in the basket weaving club," Elizabeth replies embarrassed.

"That's...concerning."

The two enter the kitchen to see all of the lights are turned off. Curious, Ronnie goes to turn on the lights however when he does so, Ronnie & Elizabeth both gasp as they see something truly disturbing.

"Wh-What the hell is this?!" Ronnie asks.

See You Next Chapter!~